Would you keep a doe based on how her parents looked?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
This girl is a 2 month old Holland Lop doe out of Sophie and Little Guy...

My question is: Would you keep her based on how her parents look? And the fact that her sire is dead?

Or: Would you cull her based on how she looks?

Attachments

• Cedar Point Summer.jpg
    Cedar Point Summer.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Sophie.jpg
    Sophie.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Little Guy.jpg
    Little Guy.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,022
I would not cull on looks till she is older, like around four months. By then you would have a better idea on fur and build.
She would have to be really scrawny, or have a major glaring fault, for me to cull younger than that.

I did have a case where I had a great looking buck, great looking doe, and after crossing them I got the ugliest kit but kept it. I bred him back to his dam and got an awesome litter of rabbits. All descendents came out around the looks of the parents. It can happen that the parts just don't match in one particular rabbit despite how the parents look and the offspring even out better when bred to another rabbit with good type. Especially if you cross back to a parent.

That's actually a problem I must constantly resist xD.

I have a litter that will be a week old tomorrow with an awesome little one, then again, I'm a sucker for anything with huge patches of color, especially on the face.

I've got a waiting list that spilled over on my last litter (too many people and not enough babies xD) and only three babies with this litter, but this baby, omg x_x. So tempted to keep it.
KulxD2H.jpg

VNYRMWm.jpg

Plus I think it's a little girl, it's got a little explanation point with a dot on top lol the other two babies are just two dots like :

I had one in the last litter that had half a split face but it turned out to be a buck, so I didn't keep it, but I may not keep this one either. I dunno :|

So I am definitely one that would keep one based on what they look like xD.

Anyway, I'd say if you want to keep the lineage of that particular buck alive and don't have any of his other offspring, you should keep her, it's entirely up to preference.

Hollands really need to be grown out more, if I had an awkward kit but wanted to try breeding it (for bloodline reasons) I would make sure I had a rabbit to cross it with that definitely shared none of the same faults. But in general I evaluate each baby based on their own merits.

Thanks! I think I'll keep her a bit longer, see how she does :) <br /><br /> __________ Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:12 pm __________ <br /><br /> Summer went to a show Saturday and placed 3 of 5 junior broken Holland Lop Does :D The judge said she has an amazing head and hindquarter, but shoulder has problems. Updated pic of her:

Attachments

• DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 943

Latest posts

Back