Would the heat cause behavior?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
In the past few weeks more than half of my rabbits have been digging pellets out of their bowls and some turning the bowl over. Used to be just one of two that does it. I'm wondering if it's their natural reaction to heat by trying to dig down to something cooler. When I let them run around in the yard they like to dig in the shade a nice indent in the soil and lie on the cool soil.

Are any of them pregnant? That is the only time mine do that, and it is only a couple of does at that.

Do you give them anything besides pellets in the feeder ? If so they may be digging to get at what they like.

Hmm... well, I wouldn't think the heat would cause it, but it can be learned from other rabbits.

Maybe it started with some sort of deficiency, causing the rabbits to search for something? I don't know. :shrug:

You can install a wire or spring across the mouth of a J-feeder to stop the scrabbling. There are other things you can do in bowls, like large rocks or pieces of cage wire laid on top of the food.

Hard to say what the cause is , I had a couple that were doing it last year and switched to a different type of feeder (Bass feed saver) and the problem was eliminated.

pro-b.jpg

I think it's not the pellets but just their nature to dig. This morning I took a male who's been scattering his pellets and placed him in an ex-pen. He dug the grass right away. Maybe he wasn't getting enough exercise. Guess the recommended feed saver will keep pellets in the feeder since I can't give them all, the exercise time they would like.

Back