Wooden hutches?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.Pines

Reaction score
I was wondering opinions about wooden hutches.
I personally dont like them for a few reasons.
One, wood can not be sanitized 100% that really bugs me.
The other is, here its damp and wood is prone to mildew and rot.
I personally cringe when I see wooden hutches sold in stores as I know between climate in this area and the risk of someday needing to sanitize, they just are not a good choice, IMO.

I prefer all metal wire cages myself.
I use various items for nest boxes that are either plastic and totally washable or card board which is totally burnable! :)

In a dry climate or indoors in a controlled climate I imagine they can be ok, but if something happens where sanitation is needed I still think wood fails.

I think wooden rabbit hutches should be a last resort for a breeder till something better can be had.
I think wooden hutches are ok for a single pet where risk of needed a total sanitation is minimal.

Whats your opinion?

well seeing that the litter that has an issue right now has been in a wet wood hutch and its our only wood one, I am inclined to not use them. I pulled the doe and litter this am and they are now in a 30x30 wire with pan.

I have all wire cages and banks setting on 2x4's until I can get them hung. It is driving my nuts! I pressure wash everything constantly and I still don't feel like I'm doing a good enough job. The cages I have in my hutches (6 hanging cage type things that I can't find another word for) have corrugated poop shutes and I don't feel near the urgency to scrub, bleach, and burn. I can't imagine using an all wood hutch unless I were in dire straights.

I wouldn't use them myself, and I live in a dry climate. We recently were given someone else's pet rabbit (a lop cross of some sort) because their daughter wasn't taking care of it. When I saw the hutch he was in (nice, fancy wooden one, looks nice but TOTALLY impractical), I wasn't at all surprised she was having trouble. I just don't see how a wooden hutch can be kept clean, even with one rabbit.

Back