Wood burner

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Okay so I've recently been getting more into wood working and my friend taught me how to use a wood burner. Now I want one of my own! :lol: So anyone who uses one can you tell me what brand you have and how you like it? I looked up so many and all the ones I've found have terrible reviews! Thanks! :)

I've had a number of larger woodburning projects in the past, so I bought a nice variable temp exchangeable pen model. I remember it was a Florida-based company though. I'll go dig through the garage and see if we unpacked it yet or if it's still in a storage pod. And I'll try and find some pictures of my outcomes with it. I really enjoy working with it, though! :D <br /><br /> __________ Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:22 pm __________ <br /><br /> Ok, so I found my woodburner! It's an Everglades Patriot variable temp tool, and I got 5 pens with it. I found this same bundle on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patriot-PRO...ERICAN-MADE-/252342505090?hash=item3ac0c90e82

I remember paying around $100 for mine when I got it, so they may have upped the price since then, but it's a wonderful tool. I've done fine work with the lower settings on softer woods and some darker pieces on hardwoods with higher temps. The pens are really easy to get used to, too, just unplug it from the cord and put a new one on to change your style. You probably wouldn't even need 5 pens... I usually sick to 2 or 3, but when I was buying it there was a special deal if you got 5 I think, so that's just what I got. For precision work and shading that machine does a really great job. And they are based out of Florida. I double checked in case I was wrong.

Unfortunately I can't find any photos of my woodburnings that are compatible file types to upload to photobucket, so I can't share them with you yet. But what kind of woodburnings are you honestly pursuing? Simple flat surfaces with minimal detailed designs would be just as nicely pulled off using a more commercial woodburning tool that just changes tips, rather than having variable temps or exchangeable pens. It might take longer (you have to wait for the full to cool down before being able to change tips), and you'll have to wear something to keep the heat off your hands in some cases (those heavy pen woodburners can get pretty hot), but they're a good beginner tool. I still have an old Walnut Hollow woodburner with changeable tips that I got myself in middle school. It still works, it's just bulkier and less fine-tuned than my other woodburner (but let's face it, the Walnut Hollow was less than $20, you get what you pay for).

Let me know if you have more questions about that Everglades (or even the Walnut Hollow), I'm happy to help!

Thanks for the response! :) I ended up getting a Walnut Hollow for $30 at Hobby Lobby. I used their 40% off coupon you can print daily so that really helped. I found that is the same one two of my friends had and I used one of them and liked it well. I haven't used the one I bought yet but I'll let you know how it works once I do! :)

Easy Ears":2nn6pgvy said:
Thanks for the response! :) I ended up getting a Walnut Hollow for $30 at Hobby Lobby. I used their 40% off coupon you can print daily so that really helped. I found that is the same one two of my friends had and I used one of them and liked it well. I haven't used the one I bought yet but I'll let you know how it works once I do! :)

It's a great beginner's tool, and it'll probably be a while before you outgrow it (if you start wanting to do finer work... for big pieces that's one of the best tools because it's so sturdy).

Do you have any projects you are looking forward to doing? :D :popcorn:

Nymphadora":1josq002 said:
Do you have any projects you are looking forward to doing? :D :popcorn:

Oh you know it! ;) :p :lol: I have a whole list! Lol! Included is decorating picture frames, and making coasters. :) I'm sooooooooooooooo excited!

Get some cheap cork coasters from your local hardware store or craft store and try woodburning a silhouette of something... lots of fun and beautiful outcomes ;) the cork won't do well with a ton of detail, but it's a good starter project and the cork burns pretty easily (so you can work faster and your hand heats up less). :)

I wanted to thank you both of you for the comments on the Walnut Hollow. My daughter was wanting one and so after reading this post and going through the reviews on Amazon I went ahead and purchased one for her.

Glad to hear it alforddm! I just love mine so far! :) I have a few completed projects...I'll have to post some pictures sometime when I get the chance. :)

Easy Ears":15hlizrh said:
Glad to hear it alforddm! I just love mine so far! :) I have a few completed projects...I'll have to post some pictures sometime when I get the chance. :)

Woohoo! Finished projects are the best… I usually drag my feet on prepping the wood surfaces (So. Much. Sanding.) but I love the actual process of burning a design into it. I’d love to see some of your finished work Easy Ears, I’m glad you’re enjoying the hobby! It’s certainly a unique one!
:popcorn:

Back