Wondering why ARBA only recognizes standard Cali coloring?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Anybody know why that is? I have a lovely chocolate Cali in my herd right now and I plan to try to get as many Chocolates out of her as I can...

Perhaps no one has the COD on them? You need to apply to get a COD on a new colour and go through several showings at convention to get accepted.Any member of ARBA can do that.<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:03 pm __________<br /><br />Perhaps no one has the COD on them? You need to apply to get a COD on a new colour and go through several showings at convention to get accepted.Any member of ARBA can do that.

Ooooh, sounds interesting. . . I might actually be interested in one, and now I'm just down the road a piece from you. . . :)

I've found people just prefer black himi because it makes the color difference more striking. I don't know about cali specifically but other breeds everyone goes for the darkest points possible at the shows. That type of thinking may just be keeping people from wanting to develop the other colors that aren't as dark.

trinityoaks":2psukzp0 said:
Ooooh, sounds interesting. . . I might actually be interested in one, and now I'm just down the road a piece from you. . . :)
New choc Cali 9 7 11.jpg
This is not the best pic, I will get some better ones....

I am hoping that she will give me some more if she takes this time. If so, I will keep you updated....

I also have a couple of super nice 13wk old bucks that are just meat bricks...I am trying to place them in other breeding programs because they really are too nice to just eat...they come with full pedigrees...know anyone that needs one?

SRB1.jpg
__________ Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:38 pm __________

akane":2psukzp0 said:
I've found people just prefer black himi because it makes the color difference more striking. I don't know about cali specifically but other breeds everyone goes for the darkest points possible at the shows. That type of thinking may just be keeping people from wanting to develop the other colors that aren't as dark.

Akane, it could be that, but the European's recognize Chocolate, Blue and Lilac Cali along with the standard color...
This litter I had actually had all of those colors in it. The chocolate is the most obviously different one though and she is so pretty....

Stuff bred in the US is often quite different from stuff bred overseas due to different fads. This does happen between other countries as well. The reason argent breeds have different amounts of silvering in different lines is because some countries it was popular to breed really light animals and others it was popular to just breed in some frosting. Right now really dark points seem to be what is popular and stressed in US himis.

currituckbun":1eaemmsy said:
ooooh....wish I lived near you. They are nice round meat bricks.

Yes, they are just fantastic little rabbits. They have a sweet disposition and such great meatiness! I hate to just put them in the freezer when they might benefit someone else's herd.

Back