wondering about my Bunny's loneliness

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppydop78171

Reaction score
So I heard about foster bunnies and was wondering if it is a good idea to foster a bunny so he won't be lonely? :bunnyhop:

Usually when we speak of fostering rabbits, we are referring to putting them with a foster mother who will nurse and raise them with her own. We do this mainly when the birth mother cannot or will not feed them, or sometimes when two litters of about the same age are of wildly different sizes. If you have a rabbit with two kits and one with a dozen, you might even things up so they each have seven. This helps both litters to stay warm and also reduces the strain on the doe with the large litter.

This doesn't sound like what you mean by fostering. It sounds to me as though you are thinking of getting a second rabbit to keep yours company. In spite of what some of the online pet websites tell you, this is not necessary as long as you give your rabbits a reasonable amount of attention. Rabbits often do not get along with other rabbits. The females tend to be territorial, and the males tend to fight for dominance. Rabbits need a great deal of room if they are to cohabit without serious fighting, and even then there are no guarantees. A female rabbit will usually tolerate a daughter raised with her from birth, but even then there can be tension if their personalities are not compatible.

It is sometimes suggested to spay or neuter the rabbits, and in many cases, this does reduce the aggression, but it is expensive and can be risky surgery for rabbits.

Quite honestly, I think you and your one rabbit are likely better off just keeping it simple and enjoying each other's company.

Latest posts

Back