Will the bunny get to the point where he doesn't run from us

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
I know Lego is still new to our house (11 week old Holland Lop we have had 5 days), but my kids are asking will he get to the point where he will voluntarily let them hold him. Right now if we sit in the floor he comes to us, hops on us, sniffs us, licks us and bites our clothes but when pet him or try to pick him up he runs off. When we are home and in the same room, he has free access in and out of his cage via a ramp we made him and he LOVES that. It's funny when we got him we said he would be living outside, then we said in the basement, and now apparently he will be living in our living room. He uses the litter box for pee about 95% of the time and for poop about 75%. He hasn't peed on the floor of our living room since we got the ramp and he only poops there a little dropping or two when I think he is startled or scared. He almost always goes up into the cage and to the litter box. He no longer eats litter but eats hay while in the litter box. He still isn't eating much of the rabbit pellets, but is eating some quaker oats along with a ton of Timothy Hay. He eats a few pellets a day, maybe a teaspsoon full? Okay so back to my original question...do most rabbits, or specifically Holland Lops, get to the point where they want to be petted. When we hold him most of the time he is calm but will freak out pretty easily. We hold him some everyday but trying more to let him get used to us and sniff us, etc... He and I have a great routine when the kids aren't around. He plays and hops around like crazy running up and down the ramp and sometimes will run when I come near and other times just lets me do my thing. He likes to take naps on the carpet in the living room. I like that he is being good about this because it gives him free reign many hours a day. Like today he has been out of his cage since 7:45 and will only have to be in it from 12-4ish when I am not home. He also loves to play in the dog carrier we got to travel/bring him home in. He runs in and out of it too. Here he is on the ramp -

b6eljq.jpg

As a general rule rabbits don't like to be held.

They do like to snuggle up to your body and be stoked but not picked up. Most of them just aren't the 'lap dog' type.

You can easily teach a rabbit to come when called or go to their cage on command, you just need to find a treat they really like. Mine come when called for carrot peelings and when I say 'bed' they run to their cage and wait for their treat.

Even though rabbits are a domestic species, they retain the instincts of their wild ancestors. Being held is instinctively unpleasant for them...it is reminiscent of a predator grappling them. Most rabbits will NEVER be happy about being held.

3 of my rabbits will snuggle up next to me on the sofa hoping to get their heads and cheeks massaged and rubbed- they love that. They don't try to get on my lap like a cat though- they sit next to me.

Our rabbit is 7.5 and we've had him since he was a baby. He's incredibly friendly and socialized. He has never liked or tolerated being picked up and he never will. He lives in the house with us like our dog. He will hop up on bed with us, and he'll hop up next to us on the couch...occasionally climbing up on our lap, but if we were to try and hold him there, or pick him up, he would be extremely upset.

I think we have one of the most friendly rabbits I've ever known or known of... but they are not dogs. I think kids can make matters worse or go backwards, because they are often disappointed if the rabbit won't let them handle them, or they do not have patience. It can take a long time of very calm efforts to get them to be comfortable in their surroundings.

I do have one rabbit who will ask to be picked up and enjoys sitting on my lap and cuddling. She is kind of unique. :D She also has an ear fetish and will hold still for hours if your stroking her ears.

[album]2306[/album]

I would not expect too many other rabbits to behave the same way. I don't believe it's a difference of socialization. Her temper is just naturally very friendly and mild. This bun never stops grooming me.

Although most of mine will TOLERATE being picked up without struggle, and will hold still for a lap petting session, no one else begs to be picked up or climbs into my hands.

:yeahthat:
do most rabbits, or specifically Holland Lops, get to the point where they want to be petted
it sounds like he does enjoy getting petted, just not being held and that is typical of 99.9% of rabbits - they DON'T like to be carried around or picked up but will lean against you on the floor or couch or come up for a cheek rub then dash off and do a bunch of binkies :)

Back