Will a genetic defect in one rabbit affect the offspring?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a show quality mini rex doe that I plan on breeding next month. I have two choices for the buck I breed her too. Here's my question:

Will a genetic defect in the buck transfer to the kits in the litter?

According to the owner of the buck (a close friend) the genetic defects (ear length to long by half an inch, and a discoloured toenail) was just an anomaly in his litter. He has no other problems or disqualifications aside from those mentioned. She claims that if her buck was bred to my doe, the kits would not have those problems, because they don't run in his bloodline (as she claims).

Is she correct, or should I go ahead and breed her to my other buck?

I don't mind taking a chance at her buck, I just want to know what to expect.

what is the ear length of your doe? They could balance each other out.

As to the discoloured toenail from what I have read... you really don't want to go there as it can carry through the line. But it's a chance right? it's only one litter and if you don't like what you see you can sell, pet out, or eat. :)

The fact that it showed up in the buck means that it does carry through the line, it just was hidden until the genetics played out right.

Thank you! :)

Her ear length is the standard length of a show quality mini rex.
I could chance it. It might be good to, since my other buck is just another chance too.

My friend's buck is castor, and my doe is broken castor..

But my buck is a brood quality Black.

Either way, I suppose I'm taking a chance. :)

if he's gotten the better type, breed it. After all...it's only one litter. Rabbits are replaceable. :) and quite useable in so many ways. :)

I would NEVER breed any rabbit with a genetic defect.
Why would you want to chance fixing that defect into your herd?
It will also come back to haunt you through sales of rabbits
that do not show the defect but carry it and pass it on to
all the herds you've sold rabbits to.
JMPO I would not breed it!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

A genetic defect and a DQ fault are two entirely different things. The question you need to ask yourself-- is the potential litter worth having a bunch of solid kits with DQ toenails? Is it worth to have Brokens with ears that turn out too long? I know of a MR breeder who will use longer eared rabbits, with excellent type, in his breeding program, BUt he also is not worrying about things like the white toenails on his solid colored rabbits( a solid rabbit, with a white nail, may very well be, genetically, a "broken."
I Consider genetic defects to be things like the following : limbs that are twisted due to dwarf genetics, screwed tails,polydactylism. missing toes not caused by an overly eager mother, incorrect bites (easily corrected in a generation or two)
One must realize, when breeding Mini animals, the dwarf genetics that usually enable the smaller sizes are also responsible for a host of unseen issues that can affect health and viability, Things like malformed hearts, blood vessel knotted up, fusion in the spine and joints. Kidney issues, missing organs, underdeveloped organs. It is possible to produce a show quality rabbit that is riddled with genetic defects, or carries the genetics that lead to them.

Back