wild cats!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not saying that they are exactly the same...but the attitude is the same.

I don't want it anymore. I'm going to get rid of it. Either by leaving it behind when I move, or dumping it in the country, or tossing it out. People do it with critters, with "stuff", and with their own children.

It's the VERY WORST to do with children, second worse to do it with critters, and just bad to do with stuff. But the attitude is all the same.. I don't want it, or care for it anymore, so I won't do the right thing by it (usually cause it costs money to do so) so I'll get rid of it by whatever means doesn't affect me and who cares about the rest.

it's a growing problem in my area because the town simply won't pick up large items any more.

So what do people do? they toss their stuff on our country roads. Too big for the city to pick up? I need it gone and it costs money to bring it to the dump, so guess where it goes? it's the same attitude...just magnified.

MaggieJ":f7jujid1 said:
AND I honestly don't see dumping a critter to be any different than dumping anything out. Don't want it any more, don't want to do the right thing by getting rid of it in the right manner, who cares who this might affect as long as it's not MY problem anymore. It's endemic to the society we live in I find. So cats, dogs, fridges, toys... just dump it or leave it.

Fridges and toys and garbage are not living things with feelings, fears and needs. I cannot equate the two.

It IS exactly the same thing! Dumping is dumping to those who do it, their feelings are probably the same for the fridge as for the cat, otherwise they wouldn't do it.I am also tired of hearing its the "Breeders'" fault. Its' NOT! Actual legitimate breeders probably spend more time PREVENTING litters than someone who just simply allows procreation through the fact they were too lazy and cheap to look after their pet cat properly.

Devon's Mom Lauren":3amloxfv said:
MaggieJ":3amloxfv said:
AND I honestly don't see dumping a critter to be any different than dumping anything out. Don't want it any more, don't want to do the right thing by getting rid of it in the right manner, who cares who this might affect as long as it's not MY problem anymore. It's endemic to the society we live in I find. So cats, dogs, fridges, toys... just dump it or leave it.

Fridges and toys and garbage are not living things with feelings, fears and needs. I cannot equate the two.

It IS exactly the same thing! Dumping is dumping to those who do it, their feelings are probably the same for the fridge as for the cat, otherwise they wouldn't do it.I am also tired of hearing its the "Breeders'" fault. Its' NOT! Actual legitimate breeders probably spend more time PREVENTING litters than someone who just simply allows procreation through the fact they were too lazy and cheap to look after their pet cat properly.

It is, and it isn't the same thing. I completely agree, it is purely rude, selfish, arrogant, invasive, unkind, and inexcusable, to dump items, both living, and non-living, on someones property. To expect someone else to pick up the pieces they've left behind because they didn't want to deal with it, is simply not acceptable. HOWEVER, I agree with Maggie, cats and dogs, whatever it be that gets dumped off takes the issue even further. These animals breed, reproduce sometimes litter after litter if they are left on their own. They are living and breathing animals, producing puppies and kittens if left to their own welfare, which is adding to the population. A fridge, washer, bucket, or bag of garbage is not going to reproduce itself. :) :lol:

I think we could argue breeding till we are blue in the face. It's up to each, to make their own best decisions. I have my beliefs, and you each have yours. That's the best part about living in a society in which we live.

I guess what I was trying to say is that in my mind it is far, far worse to dump an animal that will suffer hunger, cold, loneliness and bewilderment. My heart bleeds for abandoned and abused animals. I do realize sometimes killing these unwanted animals is the only practical solution... and sometimes it is even the most humane choice for the animal itself. But I would punish perpetrators of this kind of animal abuse far more harshly than I would mere litterers.

agreed Maggie. :) Not disagreeing with that at all.

It's just the mindset behind it that annoys me to no end.

Doesn't help that a campaign from PETA arrived in the mail. Protesting the use of cats and dogs being used for the fur trade. And saying how they grabbed the cats right off the street and all I could think was that these cats were being put to good use instead of wandering the streets.

But they of course, are protesting that these domesticated animals are being used for fur and how we should boycott any use of fur... and the use of fur-bearing animals.

All that bothers me. :) And there are indeed no easy solutions right?

MaggieJ":2pmik6u0 said:
I guess what I was trying to say is that in my mind it is far, far worse to dump an animal that will suffer hunger, cold, loneliness and bewilderment. My heart bleeds for abandoned and abused animals. I do realize sometimes killing these unwanted animals is the only practical solution... and sometimes it is even the most humane choice for the animal itself. But I would punish perpetrators of this kind of animal abuse far more harshly than I would mere litterers.

That is exactly how I feel too, however I was speaking from the mindset of those who do the dumping,they, obviously,don't care.. I think the bigger argument here was that the root of the problem was taken way back to legitimate show/hobby breeders who do care immensely for their animals, probably way more than even the usual pet owner might, and saying that the problem of dumped /unwanted animals lies at their door!! No way I accept that.And there is no way these types of breeders are the ones dumping their animals in the country either. I think the issue here is the painting of 'breeders" all with the same brush,breeders can't be simply lumped into one group and thought of exactly the same!! I think that's at the crux of this debate..

Devon's Mom, if you are referring to my post, you really need to go back and reread what I typed. I think this is how alot of conversations get taken way out of control. I said "the only way to stop the feral cat problem is to stop the breeding". It was meant in generalized terms, and NO where in there did I use "breeders" as a sole source, or root of the problem as a whole. I also stated "But, I am a firm believer that RESPONSIBLE breeders, who care for their animals, sell healthy, genetically correct, and conformationally strong animals are not the main problem."

As I said before, we are all allowed our own opinions. I just wish there were cut and dried solutions to this issue, and that there weren't so many grey areas. :)

Maggie, I agree completely with your last statement. People just don't think sometimes, and it's the animal who suffers in spite of someones stupid, and very selfish decisions. I once had someone drop off a young kitty, and a puppy, during a really bad winter snow storm. They were obviously house pets, and were not at all prepared for such extreme weather.

Fuzzy; number one I was not referring to your post... HOWEVER your term "stop the breeding" is still very generic and COULD be taken as referring to all who "Breed" IE. breeders. To be quite honest anyone who allows their animals to breed becomes a "breeder". This is what I refer to in my post,"IN GENERAL" the fact that blanket statements are made about all who breed as being of the same calibre.

Back