Why won't my experienced doe breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfyfan

Reaction score
I have a new zealand red mixed doe about 1 year old, has had 2 litters this spring / summer with another buck. That buck passed away unexpectedly and I replaced him with a 6 month old inexperienced buck.

I have been trying for the past month to breed her. The buck is not overly aggressive but does everything right, mounts, humps, tries to nudge her with his head etc. But she refuses to lift. I even tried repositioning her but her butt stays down. I have, however, noticed that her tail twitches from time to time. The buck also loses interest in her pretty quickly, in about 5-10 minutes. The doe usually just goes to the back of the cage and lie down. The buck joins her in 5-10 minutes. I had even kept them in the same cage overnight 5 weeks ago and nothing happened.

Winter is coming but we still get around 9.5h of daylight. The rabbits are kept in a hutch outdoors. Temperature is in the low 50s (10C). Is there anything else I can try? I just started putting ACV in her water today. 1 tsp per 1L bottle.

What could be the issue? Is it the buck or the doe? Is the buck too young? He is new zealand / dutch mix. Weighing about 6-7lbs. I was told his father had his first accidental litter (got into his sister's cage) at age 8-9 months with only 1-2 kits and they all survived. His father also fathered several other large litters around 16 months old.

Is it the weather getting cold and she doesn't want to breed?
Is it the daylight hours are getting too short and I should supplement with artificial lighting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back