Why did you choose the name you did, for your rabbitry?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDiana

Reaction score
I curious about your rabbitry names , how did you pick them? Did they have a special meaning to you? For some reason choosing a rabbitry name seems hard to me. I haven't even started a rabbitry yet, but am already thinking about a name. I am normally creative... but yeah right now I'm clueless. lol

Well, hubby and I love building bird feeders and bird houses, so our little farm became Bird House Farm. The rabbitry takes its name from that.

If you are moving next month, I would likely wait to name your rabbitry. Take a look at where you're moving to, the area, the surroundings. A name may just pop right out at you.

It took me forever to pick my rabbitry name. I didn't want to have a breed included, knowing that I might add or subtract breeds at some point. I also didn't want the name to have anything to do with location, even though I have no intention of moving.

During WWI and WWII, the government encouraged people to grow gardens and can their own food as part of the war effort. They were called "War Gardens" or "Victory Gardens". Some of these gardens included raising domestic rabbits for meat and the fertilizer they produce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_garden

I started raising rabbits as a meat source for my family and have an extensive raised bed garden, so named my rabbitry "Victory Garden Rabbits". I think it fits perfectly, and I like the history behind the name. :)

It is also my way of thumbing my nose at today's government which considers those of us that practice self sufficiency to be possible domestic terrorists. :twisted:

I have finally come up with a name for my rabbitry. It has nothing to do with my surroundings but everything to do with where my life is and what I hope it will become. "Freedoms Hope Rabbitry".

I don't even have one yet. :lol:

I might just have to give myself a name someday, that is, if I ever produce any bunnies that are worth selling along with pedigrees ;)

I was born in the year of the rabbit and when I was little my parents were always calling me bunnygirl and dangerbunny. I wanted my rabbitry to be named something fun so I picked Dangerbunny Farm.

I chose my Rabbitry name for the place
just behind me that the Indians called :
The Crescent Valley. So I became Crescent Valley Rabbitry.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I think I have a few idea's now.. Thanks to my soon to be ex. he has a way of unintentionally making me feel unimportant. Well this afternoon he made a remark about my rabbitry intentions. I got mad and said that just because my dreams were simple doesn't mean they are less important than his dreams. My dreams my be simple but they matter too. I was feeling really worthless the past few months. When I saw the Harlequins advertised (which were a breed I was really interested in before we decided to get divorced). It gave me a new hope. That even though my other dreams and plans got dashed it doesn't mean that I can't have new dreams. So I am thinking something like Simple Dream Rabbitry or New Hope Rabbitry..

I spent a bit over a month thinking about it almost nonstop before I picked mine. I wanted one that fit with stuff I was interested in, or where I live, or at the very least something people could remember. While carrying a armload of hay to pass out one of my rabbits managed to snag some and tug it into it's cage before I noticed. I had just given him some hay but he is a glutton so he stole some because he knew he could always eat the hay he had been given later ~shrug~ as I was glaring at him thinking about what a little thief he is I couldn't get the image of making him a bandit mask out of my head. Yeah >.> so garden bandit rabbitry is based on my weird imagination. At least I think it might be memorable at the very least :p <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:51 pm __________ <br /><br /> I think there may already be a new hope, but simple dreams sounds adorable

I love reading how the different names came from. I was first thinking I would try to come up with something using my initials, but couldn't think of something I liked. So with just use my initials in ear tattoo's instead.

We use Fluffy's Rabbitry or One Hop Shop. We've called our daughter Fluffy for much of her life and she liked that name. I picked One Hop Shop because I liked how it sounded.

St. Joseph is the patron saint of carpenters....and those who pretend they want to dream of being a carpenter one day...so since he's the one who made sure my rabbitry was put together well I named it after him. St. Joseph's Rabbitry.

The initial one was Barred R, because I was raising Barred Rock chickens. The chickens went and so did the name. I live in the city, and the lovely folks here at RT chose my new name Rush Hour Rabbitry.

Puck's Folly came from a joke between my best friend and I. We both decided to get into rabbits at the same time, she picked Satins, I picked my Rexes. We were trying to name our rabbitrys and her brand new farm. Kept giggling about calling it what the heck are we thinking rabbitry. When I finally found my first buck at the fair his entire litter was named after Shakespeare characters, so Puck's Folly was born, my favorite Shakespeare character and a charming mistake :geek: Did I mention all of my rabbits are named after Shakespeare characters too . . . my nerd is showing lol

CDiana":25xz3siz said:
I curious about your rabbitry names , how did you pick them? Did they have a special meaning to you? For some reason choosing a rabbitry name seems hard to me. I haven't even started a rabbitry yet, but am already thinking about a name. I am normally creative... but yeah right now I'm clueless. lol

I chose Skyrocket Rabbitry because I developed a nickname in highschool with it. The "clique" I hung out with was the Punk / Punk Rock, alternative, "goth", steampunk, "freaky" type folk. The steampunk half of the group was a group of "post-apocalyptic airship Pirates" and what have you. We chose "careers/specialties", I was an Engineer. We acted as a fleet and divided into "ships". I eventually gained rank as Admiral Skyrocket when Admiral Sunbeast stepped down (decided she was "too old for LARP") and each ship had a separate Captain (Captains Skyheart, Sundance and, Seafunk.) We had the Air ("Sky") fleet, Fire ("Sun") fleet and the Water ("Sea" or "Ice") fleet, we didn't have enough people for an Earth ("Sand", "Land" or "Stone") but we allowed a couple people to choose names based on those also. Skyrocket stuck with me and I was considering changing it to be my legal last name (that'd be awesome). I've lost touch with most of the "crew" these days and that makes me sad but there's the story of "Skyrocket".

I actually plan to start naming my buns after the steampunk army soon. :)

I just got my ARBA registration confirmation, woot! My Rabbitry name is "Wylde." I have the business name Wyldeflowers so I thought it would be easy to go along with it (business expense write off :p ). Something kinda cool sounds with "Wylde's Atlas (etc rabbit names)" too, that I like. Now I just need to build the website and I'll be set!

I have fun naming things in Japanese because I like the language and hardly anyone in North America knows what it means. Like when I named all my roosters various words for shut up. :lol:

My rabbitry is Kaiusagi. Kai is to care for, to raise and usagi is rabbit.

My husband and I were thinking about trying to come up with an Alaskan themed name and then one night he says "how about 'Blair Bunny Project'?" He always tells people our last name is "Blair" as in the Blair Witch Project and it is an ongoing project so it stuck :)

Back