Why did this kit pass?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I've posted about Super Runt before and she was doing great, but sometime today she passed, and pretty recently to my going out there as well, seeing she was cold and mostly stiff but not completely. She had obviously ate recently as her belly was still a bit bulged out. I'm really at a loss with this one, could she have been chilled too long? None of the first chilled kits grew or anything so I thought maybe she'd survive... Keeping rabbits is definitely not as fun as I had initially thought...

So sorry, Buttons! :cry: Sometimes things just don't work out the way we hope or expect.

When I first got into chickens, someone said to me: "If you have livestock, sooner or later you will have dead-stock.

It sounded harsh to me, but it was helpful. People who find it heartbreaking to suffer losses are perhaps better off just keeping pets than engaging in breeding. It will not always go smoothly, and one has to come to terms with that.

MaggieJ has sound advice (as always :) ). Keeping animals is enjoyable a lot of the time, but there are those moments when it just stinks :( . I usually have runs. Things go well for a while, then *splat* - I end up flat on my face with one thing after another. I rarely ever lose chickens, it's only happened a handful of times in the 6+ years I have been keeping them, but I lost two within days of each other for totally different reasons. Rabbits started out an easy venture for me, then I have had lack of breeding and crazy stupid kit losses the last few months. I am hoping their willingness to breed will mean they will do better come kindling time (maybe? I hope! Bother are experienced moms, not sure what the deal was). Anyway, your thread, not mine :oops:

Sometimes there's no obvious reason why one died. Doesn't make it easier, actually, much harder b/c it is unexpected.

I guess it's because she was so small.. I swear though, everyone had issues all last year breeding and this year does are taking like a breeze and every possible screw up is screwing up. I've lost 12 kits in 2 weeks, I know it's normal to have deaths for the reason I did... I guess when I started I thought everything would just be peachy keen the entire way through, no issues, now it seems to me I'm going through some of the hardest parts, trying to make something of myself while also trying to keep a moderated amount of bunnies. I guess in the end it's all just lessons and changes. Things can only go so bad before they have to go right again. James (Bf's Step-dad) raises fowl (chickens, ducks, geese, turkey) Everyday the same like 6-8 birds jump the fence to go explore right outside, the smart ones live the dumb ones die, natural selection isn't that caring when it comes to the risk of hurting someone's feelings.

I'll never forget working on a farm as a teenager and being responsible for checking all the new calves. One day, I found a 1 month old calf dead as a doornail in the pasture :cry: . It had been one of the healthiest calves in the herd, so I thought for sure I had done something stupidly wrong that made it die. Diagnostic lab said it has a hole in it's heart. Able to compensate at first, but as it grew the heart just got worse. Vet said one second it was walking around and fine, the next it was gone.

I remind myself of that calf all the time. Whether there is an obvious problem or not, as long as you're paying attention to your animals and doing all you can to care for them based on what you see, you're doing good. And yes, like everyone else said, it seems to come in waves, and it sucks.

I can't tell you how much better you guys make me feel. I've thought so many times about quitting when things go south because I don't want to deal with the going south again, but who does? You guys have gave me some of the best advice, I've wrote a lot of it down. If it wasn't for ya'll all my rabbits would probably be dead, because google can't give the answers and advice like you guys.

Oh dear Buttons I'm sorry you're having such crap luck. It DOES go in waves honestly, I had a spell that lasted about 6 months to a year and it sucked every day something else went wrong or didn't go right. Does who wouldn't breed, babies who died, bucks who went sterile, costing me MONTHS in wait time because I didn't realize what was happening, just one thing after another.. then all of a sudden a doe caught and gave me a good litter, then another and another and another, things are going well now for the most part.. that's life. Hang in there! It can't be all bad all the time!

Latest posts

Back