Whole vs. Milled Grain

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PulpFaction

Reaction score
I have read that whole oats can keep for quite a while, but milled grains have a much shorter shelf life.

I am interested in using oats, barley and wheat for my rabbits in approximate thirds, which means I would be purchasing 150# of feed at a time. It would take me a while to get through that...definitely more than a month, maybe two.

Now, other research reveals the critters utilize much more nutrition in the grain when the hulls are broken open through one means of milling or another. How do I balance these two things out? You lose nutritional value by keeping the milled feeds too long, but the animal can't utilize as much if it's not milled...

Other than buying my own mill and milling daily, which is the lesser of two evils?

I prefer whole grains. Not only do they keep longer, but they also give a handy source for sprouting and growing grain grasses. I would think that the rabbits at least crack them as they eat, don't they? I can't think they swallow them whole.

With larger animals, like horses and deer, they tend to eat the whole grain and it often passes through untouched. Most horse oats are "crimped" or rolled so they digest more easily. Cracked corn...same thing.

With the smaller animals, I've noticed that they really really chew their food. I mean really....watch your bunny with a pellet. Take ONE pellet in it's mouth and chews on it forEVER...then takes another one. I suspect that it's partly because they have very small throats, BIG back teeth for chewing, and normally eat grassy items which are high fiber and need to be smushed up really well.

at least...that's my theory.

I get steel cut grains, mix with pellets, and then pour in to rubbermaid containers. It takes me ~2months to use it all. I don't think they'd have a problem with whole grains through unlike horses who often pass the whole grain and have it sprout in their manure.

Good points, guys. Sounds like there's a couple of good arguments for going with whole grains. Plus, I can buy local and direct from a farmer for less, without worrying about milling. Thank you for answering my questions on that one!

I agree. I prefer the whole grains because of their long-keeping ability as well as the ability to sprout/grow them. After all, that's why I feed grains in the first place. Can't grow my own pellets. . .

Latest posts

Back