White Pimple looking marks on kits??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
I have a litter of mini rexes that are about 4 days old. They have little white pimple looking spots on their skinew. Has anyone every had this before? This is the fourth litter from this doe and her kits have never had this. I think it might be bites from mosquitoes or maybe ants. Does anyone know if either of these would cause the pimple looking markings. The kits could not be healthier otherwise. Their bellies are huge and they pop around everywhere. I have brought them inside just in case something is biting them. I will post a pic once I get to my computer .

I did not see any in the nest box but I did see a few in the rabbit run not far from this does cage. We have been getting a lot of rain so I think the ants are coming in the rabbit run for a dry spot. I will definitely be keeping the kits inside and just bringing them out to mom to feed. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

The subject line is HUGE red flags for me since that was the indicator of pasteurella in a litter I had - ants were the first suspect since we have fire ants here, but no sign of them around the hutches. Snot nosed sneezing shortly after :( . I will post the link to mine that had pics... <br /><br /> -- Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:49 pm -- <br /><br /> post277409.html?hilit=milky#p277409

Thank you four ring. The doe has never shown any sign of it but I know Paturella can not be ruled out. I will be keeping a close eye on the kits and hoping it's ant bites. If it is they should be getting better soon, they are inside now and no potential to be exposed to ants anymore.

AmberRae":1ekic649 said:
Thank you four ring. The doe has never shown any sign of it but I know Paturella can not be ruled out. I will be keeping a close eye on the kits and hoping it's ant bites. If it is they should be getting better soon, they are inside now and no potential to be exposed to ants anymore.

The doe I had didn't have obvious signs. A guy gave her to me after he had some issues with her eating fur off of her kits and then had bald patches on herself. I was new to rabbits, and didn't realize some of the red flags for illness he already had going (he had been battling "colds" - aka snuffles - all winter... I didn't know how serious that was). She grew her fur back with me so I chalked it up to a nutrient deficiency or something. She herself never showed signs, but she most definitely was a carrier.

Four Ring,
Did the pimples clear up on your kits? if so how long did it take. I know you said they developed runny noses. Did you end up culling them? Sorry if these answers are in your previous post. I read through it very quickly before work.

AmberRae":3oxd6ba4 said:
Four Ring,
Did the pimples clear up on your kits? if so how long did it take. I know you said they developed runny noses. Did you end up culling them? Sorry if these answers are in your previous post. I read through it very quickly before work.

I culled the whole litter and the doe - one poor kit was so full of white snot it looked like it had dipped it's nose in yogurt or something :( . I had bought a buck from him at the same time that infected the other beautiful cali buck I had (that was my son's, technically) - pre-RT and my understanding of quarantine practices (I had bought other rabbits from him previously so I didn't think it was a big deal) and that rabbits don't get "colds" :roll: . I wasn't taking any chances on losing all of them! Thankfully I had already moved a couple out back so there was some separation and the other never showed signs.

The kits recovered from the bumps within 24 hours so I am keeping my fingers crossed it was ant bites. I will be keeping a very close eye on them and mom. No nasal discharge yet.

Back