Which would you rather have ...... ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
A doe who shows early signs of being preggers (as in one week or so ahead of due date wants a nest box and lots of bedding material), and makes and remakes her nest until she has her littles.
OR.
A doe who doesn't show any signs at all of being preggers and suddenly (if you were smart and gave her a nest box anyways) pops out a litter of babies?

Doesn't matter much to me... as long as when the time comes she uses the box and covers them with lots of fur! Most of mine will hop in and check out the nest box but they don't do much with it until the time comes. I just trust that all will go well... and it usually does. :)

I can only go by the ones I've had that kindled..mama-san doesn't do anything other than start to look like a cow and she stops moving much the last couple of days...then the day before kindling she grabs every bit of ANYTHING that's in the cage and puts it in the nestbox. ... including her toys. then pulls fur as she begins contractions.

or..the angora girls who kind of meandered around and then grabbed up some hay, pulled some fur, and kindled. quickly.

I rather like that. none of the "oh..she's close!! will she go tonight?"...more of the "oh...she nested and there are the kits., cool."

What Maggie said. Except that my NZW was a first timer and started early and pulled EVERYTHING out of the nest box so SHE could build it and half of it ended up in the catch pan. That was annoying. I hope it's not a pattern.

It dosnt matter to me either - if the are producing and giving m nice kits - i dont care.

Although - i do like to have rabbits with different personalities.

Back