Which Netherland Dwarf should I add?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SetskiesD

Reaction score
I currently have 4 Netherland Dwarfs. A solid black Buck, a broken black otter Doe, a black otter Doe, and a chinchilla Doe. I am looking to add at most two more to my group.
A little more info from their pedigrees:
The Buck comes from a background of otters (black otter, blue otter, and chocolate otter) and chocolates.
The broken black otter Doe comes from a background of black, chocolate and brokens.
The black otter Doe comes from a background of black, black otter, and chestnut.
The Chinchilla Doe comes from a background of chinchilla and silver marten.

What two would you suggest to give me the most variety in color?

A large variety of color doesn't always mean the best color quality - I'd try to stick with as little variety in the colors as possible.

I'd get a broken chocolate otter or chocolate (or maybe broken blue otter or broken lilac otter) doe to breed to the black buck (and breed the black otter and broken black otter to the black)
I'd get a silver marten (or broken silver marten if you can find one) buck to breed to the chinchilla doe.

That way you can get some variety in colors without messing the colors up - there are some varieties that you don't want to mix with chinchilla.

That is a very good point (Quality of color)! I am really interested in this cream colored one, what would be the best mate for it? Here are a few pictures of the colors a lady nearby me offers.

Attachments

• NQ9VCdoia6.jpg
    NQ9VCdoia6.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 780
  • 0GGL2vnb-P.jpg
    0GGL2vnb-P.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 780
  • GZhd9UwvPw.jpg
    GZhd9UwvPw.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 780
  • WY CJ D 2.JPG
    WY CJ D 2.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 780
I'd try to avoid creams with the colors you have. That chocolate or chocolate otter could work nicely, and that top one, or another chestnut, would be the best to breed to the chinchilla out of the ones you have/could get

That's very true. Right now the broken black otter is pregnant and due in 2 days. She holds chocolate and so does my solid black buck. I know it is not that high of a chance, but hopefully this litter will have a chocolate boy that I can keep. It's only her second litter. In her first litter she only had one and didn't take care of it. Hopefully she will this time. I think she might because so far she isnt treating her nesting box as a litter box this time around.

Back