Which fuzzy breed is friendliest?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bantambunnies

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a pet rabbit with just a little wool, because I'm not prepared for Angoras. ;) Which of these three breeds is friendliest/easiest to handle and groom? And how much grooming do each of them require?

I have a cashmere lop (fuzzy lop) and 5 jersey woolies. In fuzzy breeds I think its safe to say a Jersey woolie is going to be the easiest to groom and they should be friendly. They do have coats like angoras but the founder of the breed's goal was to make a rabbit like a miniature angora that would be easy to groom and friendly so as to make a great pet. My JWs don't mat, the fur just kind of lets go and comes out when you brush them. They are satisfying to brush because its easy. Although the first time a JW moults out its baby coat, that does take some work to groom, but after that the adult coat is easy. My cashmere lop is another story, seems to get mats no matter what I do.

The other fuzzy breed is a lionhead which I think is adorable but I don't know much about them. But I have noticed people posting about having a hard time getting matts out of the coat so I think Lionheads are probably harder to groom than a Jersey Wooly.

Of the breeds you listed I have had JW's for certain, a couple of Lionheads (probable mutts) from Craigslist, and I *think* my house rabbit of 20+ years ago was a fuzzy lop.

The fuzzy lop matted horribly so I just shaved her periodically... but even that was very time consuming because rabbit wool is so fine that dog clippers will barely cut it, but will slice through rabbit skin like a hot knife through butter, so you have to go very slowly and carefully.

The JWs have incredibly easy care coats and are pretty much mat free in their senior coats if they have the proper wool quality.

My CL Lionheads never matted but they didn't have the extensive manes and furnishings on the flanks that the show quality ones have.

Aside from the additional brushing that wool breeds need you also have more cage maintenance since their wool gets caught on the cage wire. If not removed immediately, they will pee and poop on it which makes it exponentially harder to clean.

I scrapped my JW program mostly because of the wool/wire issue. It was just too much maintenance for me to want to deal with. The non-woolly breeds cages are almost self cleaning by comparison. :)

We only have the Lionheads from your list above, once they molt out of their junior coats I have found the grooming to be a lot more manageable. Normally we only need to do a grooming session every other week, sometimes every 3 weeks depending on the rabbit. For our juniors it is more of a 1x a week session.

Back