Which colours to breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice. I've recently decided to increase my rabbit stud population, and I'm trying to decide which colours to purchase. I only plan to breed for pets, not shows as here in New Zealand our shows are not really worth my time. I breed mini lops, and personally my favourite colours are harlequins, and selfs with vienna markings (which in my experience sell the best, as pet owners like their pet to look unusual).
Currently I own...
Bucks-
Latte- black magpie
Basil- heavily marked black harlequin
Midnight- black self, vienna marked

Does-
Sahara- beige
Dandelion- fawn
Elfa- beige with heavy vienna markings
Cleo- black harlequin
Churro- vienna marked beige
Smurfy- vienna marked blue
Otto- vienna marked blue otter

My first question is- what would happen if I bred a harlequin/magpie to a self? I'm going to assume the offspring would be agouti, as the ej gene that splits the agouti colours into stripes wouldn't be expressed. Am I correct in thinking this?
My second question is- how could I breed a choc harlequin? I have been searching for years but haven't found one. I know Basil carries Bb, but I'm wondering if I should breed him with a chocolate self (see question above) or with another harlequin that carrier Bb? That pairing would only result in 25% choc harlequins, so if there is a way to guarantee more please let me know!
My last question is- based on my current stock and your personal experience as a breeder (or buyer), which colours should I breed or buy? I don't feel I have been breeding for long enough to truly grasp which colours sell best, and that's where I would really like some help. Which colours do you, your friends, your customers etc like best? Please keep in mind show quality is not important to me.
Thanks for reading (and hopefully replying) :lol: :bunnyhop:

We really need pictures of your rabbits as not all harlequins or magpies are agouti based and they can instead be self based like the rabbit below (genetically he is aa BB Ccchl Dd eje)

image.jpeg

If your magpie and harli are indeed agouti based then when crossed to a self you should get 100% to 50% agouti (depending on whether your harli or magpie carries self) but the harequin gene can effect them and you should get some "harlequinized chestnuts" (the kit on the right is genetically AA BB Ccchd DD Eej) :cheesysmile:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 713
Back