Where to get opinions on rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to breeding, and I won't be ready to go to any shows any time soon. I have already purchased a few rabbits and have no idea about the quality of my rabbits. Our first set of buns just bred, so we have our first kits. Is this a place to post an image to find out more about a rabbit? thanks!

I do not breed them but a lot of people on here do so if you post your pics they can tell you if they are show quality

And you can take the rabbits you've purchased to show. There, for just a few dollars, a judge will tell you what he thinks. If you go with an open mind, you can learn a lot! Often there is more than one show on a given day, so you may here the opinion of multiple judges, as well as other breeders if you ask right.

Thanks. I found a show that is somewhat local in May, so I will try to enter by rabbits for that day. Now, I just have to learn how to position them.. LOL!!!! I'm such a newbie!

Jumping in is the best way to learn. Netherlands are posed in a specific fashion. I think Sable Steel may have an article around here... Let me see if I can find it. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:50 pm __________ <br /><br /> Try here:

is-this-correct-posing-for-a-netherland-dwarf-t21044.html?

But that's not the article I was looking for, grrrrr....

Hi again...

I just got my pedigree software (Global Pedigree). I am trying to enter the sire of our very first litter, and I actually do not know what type of Netherland Dwarf he is... I am guessing he is a hotot with a Charlie mark, but I really cannot say.. maybe he's just a spotty white with a Charlie mark? We got him in January when we were just "looking for a small, cute bunny," so we didn't think to ask about breed. I'd like to enter it, and would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,201
He looks Charlie blue

If you can get pictures of your dwarfs on here, I can give you some opinions. I used to breed them.

Here is a posed dwarf. The head is high as it can go while keeping the front legs on the table. The front feet are directly below the eyes. The hindquarters are as far forward as they can be without the front of the front feet going past the front of the hips (in the pictures, his go a bit past the hips - oops). The easiest way to pose them (imo) is to set up the hindquarters so its lined up (don't put too much effort into that part), then putting your thumb behind the ears of the dwarf and your index and ring finger under the chin of the dwarf. Then slowly pull the head up until its in the right position. If the rabbit keeps sticking its legs forward, then slowly move the head up and down until it gives up and lowers its legs. When your first learning to pose, or have rabbits that aren't cooperative, its easiest to get somebody else to take the picture.

Attachments

• BCXT2-9-18-16.jpg
    BCXT2-9-18-16.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,193
Thanks! Funny, I also have the brother of the rabbit I pictured, and I was told he is a Blue! Is blue the light black?

I'll try to get some photos up. I also just took pictures of Gomez's (the Charlie Blue) kits (our first kits ever). I don't know at what point I can tell if they are keepers or not. They are too young to enter into a show. We will definitely keep the one that looks like the sire (Charlie Blue). I'm attaching a photo of the Blue (I'll have to work on teaching him to pose). thanks again!

Attachments

• Spoink 5 small.jpg
    Spoink 5 small.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 2,182
Yup, blue is the color on your rabbits. It would be very helpful to read a little about color genetics, if only to learn about the different color varieties in rabbits. Blue is the dilute of black, I believe.

Then you have different patterns; solid, broken, Charlie. There are variations in these, too (such as “booted”, which is a really heavily-marked broken with white on – you guessed it – its feet), but solid is a solidly-colored rabbit, broken is a rabbit with white but plenty of colored patches, and Charlie is white with 10% or less color.

So you can have solid blues, broken blues, and Charlie blues. You seem to have a solid (just referred to as blue) and a Charlie blue.

You could read article upon article about colors and patterns and still learn more, but that’s kind of a basic run-down. I do highly recommend posing up some of your rabbits so SableSteel can evaluate them for you, though, and taking them to a show if possible.

:popcorn:

Just from looking at the pictures, I can tell you a bit about the head and ears, but I can't really determine much about the body unless the rabbit is posed.

Both of the rabbits have really good jaws/lower faces (big and broad, like the breed wants - I think the solid blue might be a bit better there), and good size of head, but they both look like they need more width between the eyes and more curvature to the brow (their forehead looks flat from the side, where its supposed to be full and round). Their heads are both a little long too. Both have good substance to the ears (the ears are supposed to be thick and well furred). The Charlie blue has a good length of ear to balance with the head, too, but his ears are a bit more pointed at the tips than I'd like to see. The solid blue has better shape to the ear, but his ears are bit too long to balance. I'd check the weights on the rabbits too, they look like they are at the top of the weight range, or maybe even too heavy. The maximum weight is 2 1/2 lbs. Of the two, I'd say the solid blue is a better show rabbit. Not only is his head a tad fuller, the Charlie blue doesn't have enough color to show. They require 10% of their body to be colored.

When I raised broken and Charlie netherland dwarfs, my 'false charlies' looked a lot like that Charlie of yours, in both type and markings. False charlies aren't as desirable in breeding, because normal Charlie is easy to breed out, but false Charlie isn't. If your Charlie blue has a solid parent or any solid offspring, then it would be a false Charlie blue, instead of a Charlie blue.

Another thing you need to check on blue netherland dwarf are their toenails! Wrong toenail color is a disqualification, and, sadly, that's a really common thing in blue dwarf lines. Charlie blue and broken blue are allowed all white, white and dark, or all dark toenails. Solid blues need all dark toenails - if the solid blues have all white toenails, or a mix of dark and light, then they can't be shown, and you shouldn't use them in breeding since this can be passed to their offspring.

Nymphadora":m2z1i0mo said:
Yup, blue is the color on your rabbits. It would be very helpful to read a little about color genetics, if only to learn about the different color varieties in rabbits. Blue is the dilute of black, I believe.

Then you have different patterns; solid, broken, Charlie. There are variations in these, too (such as “booted”, which is a really heavily-marked broken with white on – you guessed it – its feet), but solid is a solidly-colored rabbit, broken is a rabbit with white but plenty of colored patches, and Charlie is white with 10% or less color.

So you can have solid blues, broken blues, and Charlie blues. You seem to have a solid (just referred to as blue) and a Charlie blue.

You could read article upon article about colors and patterns and still learn more, but that’s kind of a basic run-down. I do highly recommend posing up some of your rabbits so SableSteel can evaluate them for you, though, and taking them to a show if possible.

:popcorn:

Thanks. I am planning to take them to a local show later in May. I know ARBA sent me a book, Standards of Perfection, but I gave it to my daughter to read, and now it is MIA... I'll read some articles online.. teaching my Blue to pose might be a challenge.. he is VERY energetic, so his name is Spoink! Thanks again! Liana

lpmorgens":hb3dyds8 said:
Thanks. I am planning to take them to a local show later in May. I know ARBA sent me a book, Standards of Perfection, but I gave it to my daughter to read, and now it is MIA... I'll read some articles online.. teaching my Blue to pose might be a challenge.. he is VERY energetic, so his name is Spoink! Thanks again! Liana

That's a netherland dwarf for you :lol:

SableSteel":s3968o3p said:
Just from looking at the pictures, I can tell you a bit about the head and ears, but I can't really determine much about the body unless the rabbit is posed.

Both of the rabbits have really good jaws/lower faces (big and broad, like the breed wants - I think the solid blue might be a bit better there), and good size of head, but they both look like they need more width between the eyes and more curvature to the brow (their forehead looks flat from the side, where its supposed to be full and round). Their heads are both a little long too. Both have good substance to the ears (the ears are supposed to be thick and well furred). The Charlie blue has a good length of ear to balance with the head, too, but his ears are a bit more pointed at the tips than I'd like to see. The solid blue has better shape to the ear, but his ears are bit too long to balance. I'd check the weights on the rabbits too, they look like they are at the top of the weight range, or maybe even too heavy. The maximum weight is 2 1/2 lbs. Of the two, I'd say the solid blue is a better show rabbit. Not only is his head a tad fuller, the Charlie blue doesn't have enough color to show. They require 10% of their body to be colored.

When I raised broken and Charlie netherland dwarfs, my 'false charlies' looked a lot like that Charlie of yours, in both type and markings. False charlies aren't as desirable in breeding, because normal Charlie is easy to breed out, but false Charlie isn't. If your Charlie blue has a solid parent or any solid offspring, then it would be a false Charlie blue, instead of a Charlie blue.

Another thing you need to check on blue netherland dwarf are their toenails! Wrong toenail color is a disqualification, and, sadly, that's a really common thing in blue dwarf lines. Charlie blue and broken blue are allowed all white, white and dark, or all dark toenails. Solid blues need all dark toenails - if the solid blues have all white toenails, or a mix of dark and light, then they can't be shown, and you shouldn't use them in breeding since this can be passed to their offspring.

----

Thanks for the wonderful information! I'll check my Blue's toe nails tomorrow. My Blue Charlie just had his first kits and one is a Charlie with black marks, instead of blue and the other is a black otter??? Don't know if that makes him a false Charlie? I don't know the pedigree of my Blue Charlie (or his brother, the Blue). When I bought them in January, they were a gift for my son who wanted a "small" rabbit, just like his friend. The breeder talked us into taking both, so we did. Then, we found an even tinier bunny, the doe who bred with the Charlie Blue, and from there, we got the bug to breed!!!!

Now, I have purchased a few more rabbits, and learning the hard way how to choose a good rabbit. I got a couple of BEWs from NJ, including a few Jersey Woolies (one BEW and the other two, broken VM). I've learned that they woolies I got are no where near show quality, but slowly, I am learning.

Attachments

• 4_20_2017 smaller.jpg
    4_20_2017 smaller.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 708
If that black otter in there is his kit, then he would be a false Charlie. True charlies only give Charlie or broken colored kits. The Charlie sibling is most likely a false Charlie too.
By the way, don't breed in blue eyed whites to other colors unless you are only breeding for blue eyed whites. They can mess up other colors pretty badly. Vienna marks too - keep those in your BEW lines, not your normal colored lines

Thanks. I will keep them on a separate line. I have to try and figure out on what I will focus. Spoink (my blue) is a pet, so we weren't really thinking about breeding him. The doe who bread with his brother, the Blue Charlie, has several otters (both choc and black) in her lineage, as well as some blue and a charlie. She is listed as a Sable, but very light, so we are going to try and breed her with a Siamese Sable..

then, I'll keep the BEWs separate. I got one doe who looks like she has a good type and I am waiting for a buck being transported from Ohio Mini.. that, with my NJ crew should be a good start. Thanks again!

If you do interbreed a BEW with anything else, put VC on their pedigree so everyone else will know it's a Vienna Carrier. I don't want to have anything to do with the Vienna gene but it's pervasive, recessive and hard to get rid of.

Does Spoink come from chocolate parents? He almost looks like a lilac. That's a warm gray color instead of the cold gray color of a blue. A blue is a diluted black color and lilac is a diluted chocolate color.

Back