where do I find processing requirments for Florida?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a "sticky" thread for state and province regulations concerning sale of rabbit meat. You may find your answer there. If not and in the event that you find the information elsewhere, please add to that thread so others can benefit too.

state-and-provincial-codes-for-selling-rabbit-meat-t5718.html

In many places rabbits are classified with poultry for the purpose of meat sales. If you are hunting for the regulations for Florida, I'd suggest starting with the website of the department of agriculture.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/

I did a quick search, and it appears that you will need to take advantage of Florida's "custom" exemption. It allows a person to avoid the USDA licensing/inspection requirements if they are being paid by an animal's owner to process their animal.

In other words, you would need to sell a live rabbit to someone, making it their animal, then charge them to process the animal for them. The package would have to be labeled "not for resale" and you would need to keep records on your sales You would also have to keep records on facility cleaning, maintenance, etc.

Just a quick summary, but I hope t helps. Oh, and welcome to RT!

Latest posts

Back