When is it Safe to Breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
Hi, it's me again :oops:

I took my doe who had a urinary tract infection to the vet, and they gave me ten days worth of antibiotics for her. The ten days are now up, and I can see no further signs of an infection. Her bum is dry/normal again, and she seems perfectly happy. She lifts every time I pet her :roll:

I really want to breed her and keep back a kit from my new buck (she is the better of my only two does), but my question is when is it safe to breed her after her infection? How long should I wait? I don't wan't to be impatient and cause more issues.

Thanks!!

Provided she feels like breeding there shouldn't be an issue. A urinary tract infection isn't much strain on the system if treatment or natural resistance keeps it mild and the cause usually requires more than just exposure to bacteria so spreading it is unlikely. The safety of an antibiotic while pregnant would depend on the antibiotic but if she's done with them it shouldn't matter by the time the pregnancy is established. The only problem is if it recurs while pregnant you'll have to choose the antibiotic more carefully but waiting doesn't really prove the problem is not going to be recurring in an individual.

Back