When is a buck too old?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
As you know, Big Boy was our go to fella this summer and autumn. He seems to have really aged over the past three months; I am wondering if he is older than I was informed as he is happy, eats etc but seems frail in structure and no longer wishes to breed.

I hate to cull him as his isn't meat worthy and my daughter loves him; she knows he won't go for ever though...

Advice appreciated...

CH

how old is he supposed to be?

I wonder if there is something wrong or if he was used a bit too much and got run down - can you use somebody else and let him rest adn get fiesty and fatter for a month or two? you may find that does wonders for his drive

I know some meat folks don't cull all rabbits but rather euthanize older breeders that have given them a lot

He has had two months off; he is a sweet bun. I may get some commercial wormer as last resort... If that doesn't work, then I will be convinced its age.

it could be age, it could be disease, it could be pain

you don't know how old he is I take it?

I ask because I have had rabbits over 5 very interested in the girls still ..

i have a six year old buck who still likes the ladies and throws good sized litters for first time moms (I think 5-7 is good for a first time mom).

and when you say he has had two months off do you mean he's had two months away from the ladies totally or two months where you've tried him and he hasn't done anything?

did he have a negative experience breeding?

He needs a complete break - away from the gals totally for a bit ..

Two months without attempted breeding; he got overfed, then seemed to crash in weight. I have watched his feed, but he doesn't increase size. He is very bony, but his fur is in good condition and he is happy and friendly. I hold him and he nuzzles--he may be one of the friendlist we have...

boney suggests liver disease to me
find what he will eat and get him in better condition - I had a doe with liver issues when she got here - I have found food she'll eat well - she's doing great - her liver function has been laregly restored ... (nice liver's regenerate)

Latest posts

Back