What would you do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Netherland dwarf. We purchased her 6 mo ago and previous breeder said she was a great mom. I don't think she likes our barn...every time she has babies she pulls the bedding out of the nest and covers the bottom of the cage. She then has babies all over the cage. Last time 2 fell out of the cage and onto the ground ....well this time I put cardboard on the floor of the cage and around all the walls and gave her a nest box. She had 2 doas and 1 live kit all in the box.. ...my question is should I let her raise this kit or should I add the kit to my other Netherland who is pulling fur and should have her babies today.
I feel bad pulling the baby since this bad mom finally did things right in her delivery... But I don't want the baby to get cold without any other babies to give bodyheat.

Depending on how many your other doe kindles, perhaps you could foster some of hers to the doe with the singleton. Only you can decide what is in the best interests of the kits, but it might be worth considering.

Thanks for the suggestion. The second one had 2 but she didn't pull very much fur. She is also more show quality so I pulled her 2 babies and gave them to the mom with the singleton. Thankfully they are different colors so I will know who's is who's. I am planning on breeding the mom back who's baby's I took.
Thank you!
Anna

Latest posts

Back