what TYPE of feed measurements....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
Okay, here goes-- the thread on measured feed just reinforced a question that has been bugging me for a very long time---

I have worked in wildlife rehab for some time-- and the feeding instructions are very explicit when it comes to volume/weight of feed. So, when reading any of Bennet's books, the question that came foremost to my mind-- for example: "4 ounces"-- Okay-- is that 4 ounces by weight, or 4 ounces by volume (1/2 cup)? The dog food I buy, indicates that 1 cup of food weighs "approximately 3.5 ounces" That is an enormous help when starting a new product.
I also dislike the lines that read "as much as the animal will consume in a given time period (usually 10-15 minutes) I have a Chessie that can down a 20 pound bag of feed in 3 minutes, but only needs two cups a day to maintain a trim, healthy waistline...Some of my rabbits are the same way-- they literally suck up the food- almost like they are trying to convince people that they have been starved....

I guess I just don't like trying to figure out what an author is trying to convey when terms can be used interchangeably.

I've just always figured that if they're talking about dry stuff, they mean weight. If liquid...then we've got a problem.

I'd never question someone saying I've got 4oz fiber for sale. So...4 ouces of wheat berries would be 4oz weight.

Quite often you'll see an author talk about oz in one area, and then cups or liters in another. That would be a HUGE tipoff that he's talking weight when he says ounces.

Anntann":1e88t18b said:
I've just always figured that if they're talking about dry stuff, they mean weight. If liquid...then we've got a problem.
it can be a problem with dry, as well....

I'd never question someone saying I've got 4oz fiber for sale. So...4 ouces of wheat berries would be 4oz weight.

Quite often you'll see an author talk about oz in one area, and then cups or liters in another. That would be a HUGE tipoff that he's talking weight when he says ounces.

measurements like "quart" are usually liquid, and it is only because I know how to feed a horse that I know that grains are fed by the quart or gallon.[dry product, wet measure] And I found in one of Bennet's books, (I checked out two and the copy I have so I could compare changes between each title change)a couple places where there was no true indication of whether weight or volume was being used -...A cup is a cup, but a cup is not necessarily 8 ounces :D
And forget 'scoop'--some are bigger than others..

I am trying to set things up so I can write out fine tuned feeding instructions for whoever takes care of the buns when I finally start getting body parts repaired...

Feed amounts are given by weight. Of course no one wants to have to weigh out feed for small animals daily, so the best thing to do is weigh it out once and see how far up it comes in a measuring cup. For smaller rabbits, some people use vienna sausage can, some use a tuna can for meat rabbits, a "heaping: tuna can is almost a cup.

I think for a meat rabbit, a little over a cup of pellets should be fine. For dwarf breeds anywerhe from 1/3 - 3/4 .

What i do - is give them a 3/4 scoop, and whenever i see them low on feed ill top them up. My rabbits are basically on free feed, but not quite. THey also get acess to hay all the time AND i give them about 2 tablespoons of sweet feed/ oats EVERY night. Does with litters also get some BOSS on top of that.

I dont have a problem with over weight rabbits. It keeps them in happy condition.

It's sloppy thinking and sloppier writing that causes this kind of confusion. :rant: It would be nice if the authors would just add the words "by weight" or "by volume" after their measurements. Where were their editors when the books were being prepared for publication?

MaggieJ":1yhcjgam said:
It's sloppy thinking and sloppier writing that causes this kind of confusion. :rant: It would be nice if the authors would just add the words "by weight" or "by volume" after their measurements. Where were their editors when the books were being prepared for publication?

Nothing sloppy about it. "Ounce" is a measurement of weight (or mass), not volume. The "ounces" on the side of your measuring cup are "fluid ounces" which is a measure of volume. As it happens, a "fluid ounce" of water at STP (20C @ 1 atmoshpphere) weighs one ounce avoirdupois.

avdpas77":20s2ngmj said:
MaggieJ":20s2ngmj said:

Nothing sloppy about it. "Ounce" is a measurement of weight (or mass), not volume. The "ounces" on the side of your measuring cup are "fluid ounces" which is a measure of volume. As it happens, a "fluid ounce" of water at STP (20C @ 1 atmoshpphere) weighs one ounce avoirdupois.

I stand corrected! :oops: You are absolutely right, ADV, that the word "ounce" refers to weight unless preceded by the word "fluid".

Since this notion is not as firmly fixed in our minds as it obviously should be, I would still advocate specifying "by weight" when writing for the general public.

This is my regiment

1. A big handful of timothy hay/Meadow Grass daily

2. Mini Rex ½ cup of 17% protein pellets per day.
Jersey Woolies 1/3 cup of 17% (or higher) protein pellets per day.
Argente Bruns 1 ½ cups of 17% protein pellets per day.

3. Mini Rex ½ cup of sweet feed (for horses) 2 times per week in addition to pellets
Jersey Woolies 1/3 cup of sweet feed 2 times per week in addition to pellets
Argente Bruns 1 cup of sweet feed 2 times per week in addition to pellets

4. Greens ( romaine lettuce, parsley, beet tops, dandelion leaves). Greens are fed fresh from the garden 2 times per week during the spring/summer/fall season. During the winter greens can be bought At the grocery store, and they are given once a week.

5.) Rolled oats. 1/3 a cup is given to all breeds at least twice a week.

6.) Fresh water every day.

My rabbits do really well on it, they keep condition, look and feel wonderful, and are very active and happy. The Mini Rex also don't act like they're starving either (They're gluttons).

avdpas77":2wniazgx said:
Feed amounts are given by weight. Of course no one wants to have to weigh out feed for small animals daily, so the best thing to do is weigh it out once and see how far up it comes in a measuring cup. For smaller rabbits, some people use vienna sausage can, some use a tuna can for meat rabbits, a "heaping: tuna can is almost a cup.

tuna cans are getting smaller---I assume the same can be said of the cans that potted meat comes in, as well.

Ah well, I am working on the 'volume' measurements for feed at the end of the week.

Latest posts

Back