what type of comb to use

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hand pull their coats each time I go to feed and water them. Though, mine are not angoras, but I'm guessing you can still see the old, shedding hair and easily pull what's loose and on it's way out.
I don't even brush my LGD because the brushes never catch the old coat the right way. So I pull her 6in long hair over several weeks.

Secuono":fyn7r5dc said:
I hand pull their coats each time I go to feed and water them. Though, mine are not angoras, but I'm guessing you can still see the old, shedding hair and easily pull what's loose and on it's way out.
I don't even brush my LGD because the brushes never catch the old coat the right way. So I pull her 6in long hair over several weeks.
are you taking about a dog ... if you are .. not the same thing at all

If you want a comb that is an absolute work of art, get a Greyhound. I am not sure which model would be best, but these combs are amazing quality. I would probably get the "Beauty" 7.5"x 1.375", which has both medium-coarse and fine tines.

When I bought mine twenty-plus years ago, they were only available in Nickel. Now they have a colored anti-static coating available.

http://greyhoundcomb.com/cart/index.php ... x&cPath=20

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3qq7imw6 said:
Secuono":3qq7imw6 said:
are you taking about a dog ... if you are .. not the same thing at all

I was talking about rabbits and then mentioned my dog has a thick and long coat and I still hand pull instead of use a brush.

Are you trying to save the shed wool or just get it out?

I go over with a slicker first, then a rake, and then a slicker again to get the strays so their not eaten. If he's blowing his coat though, I would suggest taking the time to pluck him. No brush is as efficient as fingers when it comes to that!<br /><br />__________ Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:54 pm __________<br /><br />This is what I mean by rake. I have a cat sized one. It works wonders...

Attachments

• rake.jpg
    rake.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,175
I have a cat sized one too, but I do suggest hand plucking. Saving the fiber means I don't want it tangled in a comb.

I actually hand pluck my dogs as well, then blow them out, but of course I am not trying to save their coats.

And hand plucking of any animal is a great way to bond with them, personally I love plucking the winter coat from my horses when they shed in the summer.

I use a dreadlock comb that I got from the local "beauty supply" store. It has close together, stiff tines (or whatever they're called). Works great!

Back