What to clean my hutches with?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmybunnys

Reaction score
My hutches are part wood and part wire. What is the best thing to disinfect my hutches. I would like for it to be rabbit friendly because it will soak into the wood. Ive read where deluted vinager or lemon juice. Ive also thought about using soap and water. The soap being antibacterial. What do yall use?

I hutches have wood floors and sides and back.. wire in the front... I use a diluted bleach and water mixture...but I like the vinegar and lemon juice idea

I use baking soda, a little borax and a squirt of dishsoap mixed in a spray bottle. It's a good disinfectant and non-toxic. I use it for everything else, safe around kids and critters, and doesn't seem to harm wood.

I washed mine with soapy water, rinsed then sprayed with vinegar (1 part vinegar to 4 parts water). Let it soak awhile then rinsed again then let it dry in the sun. :)

I use 1 part bleach to 8 parts water. The proportions were given to me in a first aid class (as a spray disinfectant) and it's supposed to kill any biological agent on contact. I use a dish brush to scrub it and rinse it as well as I can.

There's still some bleach residue when I'm done, but my bunnies seem ok with it.

I have used bleach, vinegar, Betadine scrub, and rubbing alcohol... sometimes one after the other if I was "sanitizing" cages to prevent the spread of infection or parasites.

I recently bought a pressure washer, and used that for the first time yesterday. It worked great! :p Every rabbitry should have one. :D

Bleach dries to a salt, so should be well rinsed to prevent rust formation. Vinegar is an acid and will ruin the galvanization on the wire, so should also be rinsed. The only thing I don't rinse is rubbing alcohol.

Yea I was worried about rusting the wire. I thought about using bleach, vinegar or lemon juice and scubbing it with soap after a bit of sitting.

Vinegar will take the galvanizing off wire. The sugar glider people do it on purpose because gliders get urinary tract infections pressing their bellies to the galvanized bars all the time.

We use 1 part bleach 2 parts water for our wood and wire cages. However we do not put the animals back until it's aired out and dried. Bleach turns to a harmless salt and will actually preserve wood. A lower concentration and you wouldn't have to worry so much about waiting for it to dry before replace rabbits. I was given that bleach water concentration because of some hedgehog health issues and it solved all our environmental problems from fly larvae to salmonella poisoning so we keep using it on everything.

Bleach, water and salt.
Salt will remain in the wood and keep all critters away for some time.

akane":3n6bf8v1 said:
Vinegar will take the galvanizing off wire. The sugar glider people do it on purpose because gliders get urinary tract infections pressing their bellies to the galvanized bars all the time.

We use 1 part bleach 2 parts water for our wood and wire cages. However we do not put the animals back until it's aired out and dried. Bleach turns to a harmless salt and will actually preserve wood. A lower concentration and you wouldn't have to worry so much about waiting for it to dry before replace rabbits. I was given that bleach water concentration because of some hedgehog health issues and it solved all our environmental problems from fly larvae to salmonella poisoning so we keep using it on everything.

Andrei":3n6bf8v1 said:
Bleach, water amd salt.
Salt will remain in the wood and keep all critters away for some time.

Okay, now this is helpful! Bleach, water, salt, and a borrowed pressure washer is in my near future. Just need to send some rabbits to freezer camp and the sanitizing will begin! I was beginning to think I'd made a huge mistake making wood/wire hutches so this will help me sleep at night again.

MamaSheepdog":22d8s5vr said:
I recently bought a pressure washer, and used that for the first time yesterday. It worked great! :p Every rabbitry should have one. :D

I use one too - blasts the crud right off of EVERYTHING! :lol: On wood I use the pressure washer then a bleach solution and then the pressure washer again - and if I can I let it sit in the sun for a good long time.

Latest posts

Back