What should I do with long quick and nails?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
One of my bucks has nails sticking out about 1/4 inch even though he gets to be in the yard few hours a day. Nails are clear but my poor eye sight prevents me from cutting too close to the quick. Any suggestions?

I am a dog groomer. Going out in the yard Is not going to wear them off at all.
Just ask around. I am sure a groomer somewhere would do them for you.
The longer you wait, the longer the quick will get, and then you can't get them short enough.

-- Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:53 am --

I use Dollar Tree cat nail clippers to cut my rabbits nails.

If you gently squeeze the jaws of the clipper on the nail and the rabbit doesn't flinch you are not too close to the quick and can cut the nail.

If the nails are not dark, you should see the quick, cut just ahead of it (you'll hit the nerve before you get blood so it can hurt even if you didn't make it bleed).

General rule would be to take the hooked tip off, if you aren't sure/ dark nails, take a bit every few days until you get them to a good length.

Take the tip off every few weeks until you get them to the right length. Just compare the nails to see that you are cutting a little faster than they are growing. I have to do that sometimes for my akita who has thick black nails and I'm not good at judging how close to the quick I am. Her breeder can just keep working them down until she sees the change in the color of cut part so if they get out of hand I have her do them and then try to keep up on them again.

Latest posts

Back