What should I do

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Sorry ahead of time about rambling on. Well here I go. I have a friend that fell inlove with my bunnies I had and wanted one of her own. Well when we went to the fair last year she ended up buying one. A black otter MR that she just fall for and had to get. The only problem was she would have to keep it at my house since she was still in college at the time. I told her that would be fine since there was 2 empty cages. She did great at taken care of him even though it was her first rabbit. She would play with him, clean his cage, and even buy big bags of rabbit food for the rabbits. Well during the winter I had problems with stray cats going into the barn and go figure those darn things ended up scaring her rabbit to death. Well I felt so horrible about her losing her rabbit so I told her since I had MR's at the time when I bred them that she could pick a baby out to keep. She of course said ok. Well once they all got old enough she ended up picking out the bunny she has now. A black tort MR. He was a sweetheart when he was a kit but now not so much. I believe its because he doesn't get enough attention. His so scared when you pick him up his eyes are so big and he kicks. Since she has got him she might have taken him out maybe once or twice that I can remember. I feel bad for him granted I don't take all my bunnies out but all mine are friend beside a doe I just got. She hasn't got any food or hay like she did when she had her other rabbit. I just feel like she rushed into getting another one because hers died. I don't know how to go about this. I'm the only one that goes out rain or shin to feed and water them. Heck my 3 year old niece goes out with me and helps. I get my friend works and has her own life but don't you think if you have a pet you would take care of it and come visit it some times. Get this it upsets me because she comes over the house to hang out with my sister n law and niece but doesn't even bother about going out to see her rabbit. Its like she has forgotten about him. I really don't have no need for a MR hints why I sold all mine beside my little doe. I don't know what I should tell her. I don't want to sound mean since I do feel like its my fault why her first one died but she needs to start taken care of him or I'm going to get rid of him to a family that will. What do you think I should do with this issue?

My opinion,
Remove the Rabbit from your herd if you do not want to add it as your own.
Your "Friend"? obviously is NOT interested in Rabbits!
I believe she had ulterior motives from the beginning.
Hey, you tried to do something nice, but it didn't work out.
Cut your losses and do what you feel is best in any given situation.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Have you talked to your friend about this? I think it might help. Tell her that the rabbit is not getting enough attention and ask her if she would like you to find a good home for it.

She may be relieved to be freed from the responsibility and agree. If so, go ahead and do it. If she does not agree, make it clear that she needs to contribute to its care and upkeep or that you will have no choice but to rehome the bunny. Point out that the present situation is not fair to the rabbit and not fair to you.

You may lose a "friend" over this. I have to wonder about the quality of that friendship and whether it would be much of a loss.

I have to agree... she may not realize it, but she's taking advantage of you, and she's not doing right by the rabbit.

You can try a kind appeal first. "Hey, about your rabbit... I've noticed that you don't really seem to be into this pet rabbit thing. That's okay... rabbits aren't for everybody. Would you mind if I found him a new home?" Like Maggie said, she may really not want him, but doesn't want to tell you that (after all, you gave him to her), and would be relieved that you asked.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to take a harder line. You and your niece have been doing all the work, and the bun is now skittish because she won't pay attention to him -- even though she's over there.

By the way, it wasn't necessarily the cats. Sometimes, rabbits just keel over for no apparent reason, with no changes or outside stress at all.

Latest posts

Back