What's wrong with her?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disney

Reaction score
Jetta is acting weird.. she makes weird noices since a couple of days, even at night when everybody is quiet, you can still hear her grunting.

10 minutes before i shot the video, i went inside to fill their bowl with pellets and then i heard loud noices from their pen, i rushed outside and Jetta was running around spastically! She was jumping in and out of the cage in a possesed way, her sister got scared and tucked herself in a corner not knowing what was happening. I took jetta out and held her on my lap to calm her down..
Put her back in the pen and they started eating like normal.

But what's wrong with her? The noices she makes bother me, it sounds like she has breathing problems, could there be something stuck in her throat?

On another note, she escaped the pen on monday and bred by my buck who runs loose in the backyard.
Could she be making these noices because she's pregnant?

Well here she is..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2MURo5HQlE[/youtube]

I had a doe that made noises like her.
she did it the entire time I had her away from the rest of my rabbits.
I put her in with my buck and she still made some sounds while in his pen.
once I removed her she stopped. the only think I could think of was, either she was telling me to stay away. or she was wanting
to be with the big boy.
IDK, she has not made a sound in 2 weeks now.
maybe she just wants a little more male companionship. LOL

if the noise isn't hurting her I'd worry not on it and just think it's a odd pecularity about her.

I had a doe once who snored. Go figure. AND she only did as she was falling asleep not WHEN she was sound asleep.

CWD":3952c01s said:
maybe she just wants a little more male companionship. LOL

I don't think that's the issue, she has company from her sister and the buck, they smell and rub their noses whole day long :lol:
She even escaped to mate with him so i don't think she has anything to complain.

But the noises also started after she was bred.. could she have fought with him? No don't think so.

I'm worried though..

ladysown":3952c01s said:
if the noise isn't hurting her I'd worry not on it and just think it's a odd pecularity about her.

I had a doe once who snored. Go figure. AND she only did as she was falling asleep not WHEN she was sound asleep.

I hope you're right but she doesn't sound oke when she does it and she often makes couching sounds too and she also strains her stomach when doing this. So that's the reason why i'm worried.. might go to the vet with her but don't want to if it's nothing important.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3952c01s said:
have you checked her teeth.

No i couldn't hold her for long, she hates that. But i will make sure to check tomorrow, thankyou for the reminder.

I have 2 does that are "talkative" like her. They make those noises when I put them in with the buck. They make those noises when their kits get old enough to annoy them. I just think of it as talking.

When she was jumping around spastically, was it like binkies?

I have a doe that does that. She was bred for the first time a few weeks ago and has done that every time I've walked into the hutch since. I always figured she was still upset with me and wanted to take every chance to let me know.

TerriG":3svhlug6 said:
I have 2 does that are "talkative" like her. They make those noises when I put them in with the buck. They make those noises when their kits get old enough to annoy them. I just think of it as talking.

When she was jumping around spastically, was it like binkies?

No it was definitely not a binky.. it was a panic attack, she was dashing around and bumping into the bars in a very stressed way, breathing heavily with enlarged eyes.
:(

michaelhodgejr":3svhlug6 said:
I have a doe that does that. She was bred for the first time a few weeks ago and has done that every time I've walked into the hutch since. I always figured she was still upset with me and wanted to take every chance to let me know.

Hmm i hope it's innocent like your doe's condition.. but i'm scared i'm gonna find her dead one of these days because of breathing problems or something stuck in her throat/stomach.

My doe made some noises like that after she bred the first time and occasionally during that pregnancy. Not since then that I remember. I wonder if it is the same for your doe?

the panic attack could have just been her being scared, OR.... she could have a heart problem.

I'm recalling that a few years back I sold a young doe who for me was fine but something about her was a bit odd. Sent her to a pet home where she was fine but every once in a while would freak out (the owners words). They wanted to know why she did that and I had no clues beyond...something must have scared her.

Took her to a vet and discovered she had a heart murmur and this seemed to be the cause of her "freaking out" episodes. The vet they took her too was a rabbit vet so i'm assuming he knew what he was talking about.

The rabbit is still alive to the best of my knowledge and it's been four years. They just learned to keep her in a large area so that when she had those freak out moments she's be less inclined to hurt herself if they couldn't catch her.

My doe who had babies on monday made that noise pretty much her entire pregnacy. She was a grump. I had to seperate her from her cage mate(another female). Because she started chasing and attacking her.

Maybe add her a place she can hide, like a box and it might make her feel more secure.

My doe Ginger has made those sounds as well. When I put her in Mr. Salty's cage for breeding she made that sound. When I came near her the rest of the day she would make those wheezy wimpery sounds. And the other day she had a complete spaz attack when I came out to check on her. It was the day before she kindled. So I think she was just on edge. I haven't noticed any other health issues with Ginger though. Maybe your girl is just unique.

PatS":1jiudubp said:
My doe made some noises like that after she bred the first time and occasionally during that pregnancy. Not since then that I remember. I wonder if it is the same for your doe?

Yeah mine too, you often hear it when they're pregnant.
Mine usually makes this sound when they're pregnant and a buck tries to mount them, to let him know it can't be done.

ladysown":1jiudubp said:
the panic attack could have just been her being scared, OR.... she could have a heart problem.

I'm recalling that a few years back I sold a young doe who for me was fine but something about her was a bit odd. Sent her to a pet home where she was fine but every once in a while would freak out (the owners words). They wanted to know why she did that and I had no clues beyond...something must have scared her.

Took her to a vet and discovered she had a heart murmur and this seemed to be the cause of her "freaking out" episodes. The vet they took her too was a rabbit vet so i'm assuming he knew what he was talking about.

The rabbit is still alive to the best of my knowledge and it's been four years. They just learned to keep her in a large area so that when she had those freak out moments she's be less inclined to hurt herself if they couldn't catch her.

She had another spaz attack today.. it was really difficult to see her like that. I picked her up and it took her 5 minutes to calm down, she was also breathing very fast.

Hmm.. i think i'm going to let the vet check her out after she kindles, if she doesn't stop acting weird after the pregnancy then i'm sure it has to do with something else.

Maxine":1jiudubp said:
My doe Ginger has made those sounds as well. When I put her in Mr. Salty's cage for breeding she made that sound. When I
came near her the rest of the day she would make those wheezy wimpery sounds. And the other day she had a complete spaz attack when I came out to check on her. It was the day before she kindled. So I think she was just on edge. I haven't noticed any other health issues with Ginger though. Maybe your girl is just unique.

My doe's normally makes this sound when they're pregnant and bothered by a buck who wants to mount them.
I always thought it was a "leave me alone, i'm already pregnant" sound but they seem to do the same thing without the buck around, like they're talking.

In my case.. i don't know for sure what it is.

Back