What's the best way to breed virgin does?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I have two 6 month old does I want to breed to my chocolate buck. I've asked a few people and got different responses such as, put the buck with the does in a big cage (Both does and one buck, in the cage the does are in currently. I've put them with the buck a few times, but for other reasons haven't been able to do it daily. Would it be better to put them with the buck separately every day until they lift? or should I put the buck in with the does?

You never want to put the buck into the does area, as they can be territorial. I also hear if you have does together you want to separate them a few weeks prior to breeding. I have an exercise area (3 actually...) that I put the doe and buck down into. It's neutral territory and much more stable than the wire floor of the bucks cage. People do often put the doe into the bucks cage for breeding and works for them just fine, but it's never really worked out well for me, lol.

If they are intimidated neutral areas can help but the territorial nature of rabbits has led to bucks being castrated by nervous or aggressive does when you do something like putting the buck in the doe's cage. Sometimes even when you put the doe in the buck's cage but that is called a crock pot doe or dog food. Especially when it also leads to my finger being sliced open getting her teeth off my buck's testicles. Does will get increasingly territorial as they go through hormone changes so housing multiple does to a cage or putting them together in a pen for breeding at the same time becomes risky for adults and if you make it to the point of kits being produced. Usually a lot of thought and space goes into colony housing and breeding and otherwise it's best to cage and handle adults separately. Even a well thought colony plan sometimes fails or has moments you have to be prepared to separate for. I had one doe that 2 weeks into pregnancy like clockwork she'd go from peaceful to picking fights with even does twice her size and they'd be leaping up to grab each other to try and smash the other one into the ground first. Colony housing has tons of benefits but a constant level of risk that something will set them off.

I knew does were territorial about their cages, which is why I really didn't want to put him in there. She said I should put him in there with her for two weeks! I was like yeah right! I'm not coming out to a dead or castrated buck!! I think I might do table breeding and let them live together until their is an issue, they are very bonded does and I don't want to stress them out by separating them again, even when I take one out for breeding the other one starts freaking out running back and forth. They freak out when separated. I figure if nothing else I'll separate them about a week before their due date. I don't want to jinx anything by saying this, but I plan on using any babies for human/pet food since they are first time moms and usually their babies don't make good parents as mom don't know. Now I'm hoping they both do great because if they do they will be getting replaced by their own or some other does.

So what are thoughts on table breeding? I have one cage that's about 3x3 that's on the ground that I usually let the ones out that I can't move their cages (Some of my cages are on removable stands so I can just take them out and set them in the grass) Which one would be a better idea for virgin does? I know I need to take the buck first.

I understand they get upset at being apart, but I really would separate them before you breed. Yes, you may want to wait until you notice them getting territorial, but what if you're not there and they injure each other? There is a very good chance of that. Or, what if they don't fight, but separating them causes them to become stressed and abort or abandon their kits? Unless you are going to research colony housing I would separate them now, wait until they get used to it, then breed them. It will avoid risks of a dead or injured pregnant doe.
Also, breed them separately for sure.

As for table breeding, I don't like it unless absolutely necessary. Does who don't mentally want to breed often have false pregnancies or small litters. They just don't do as good as if they bred willingly.
If your does are very nervous, there are lots ways to help. Feed a handful of spinach and/or put apple cider vinegar in the water for a week or so before breeding. I like to put an article of the buck's(like a hiding house, a toy, anything that smells like him) in the doe's cage overnight to get her used to his smell. That has helped my does a lot when they are being uncooperative. I also really like breeding in a neutral area. Just put the buck in the pen or large(unused) cage first for a little while(maybe 10 minutes) so he can spray and chin if he wants. Then, add the doe. If she is trying to hump him or bite him, push her away when she does it, but don't hold her down. If the buck starts breeding and she looks like she might bolt, sometimes I gently press her head or pet her head, but I don't force her.
Rabbits also like it if you breed in the morning or evening, and mine don't like overcast weather.

If they are still stubborn, try switching cages overnight, the buck in the doe cage and the doe in the buck cage. Then, in the morning, bring the buck back to his cage where the doe is waiting.

I also dont like table breedng. It always is less successful for me, and its less natural for them. I prefer to put them together in a neutral area, in an excercise pen, when the does are good and ready. This has proven to give me big litters and a nice sucess rate. Table breeding has led to lots of false pregnancies when I have done it in the past. If a doe isnt really ready its gong to cause her to ovulate anyway, and she may not take or her body may not work right (cause her to retain or lose any kits she may concieve). Just been my experince. And if they are literally on a table you have to worry about them falling off or getting injured....

I was kinda wondering about the issue of a bunny bolting or something of the such when table breeding, and was also thinking about the risks of pregnancy issues.. I do want to build a bigger exercise run for them. Maybe I can cut both the sides off the two I have and use them as a long run.. I'll look at it later and see what I figure out. That would make a great neutral cage for them. I have been making my own ACV believe it or not, and it's about done. There is a thick layer of the mother in the bottom so I'm excited to see what it does for my rabbits. I have been kinda putting off breeding them and actually have been thinking about selling them due to lack of cage space. I thought maybe I could breed them once together see how they do and sell them as proven if they are worth it. Both are very sweet and obviously love each other a lot as they are never apart. There is definitely a pecking order I've noticed and the dumb blue is head B. so the smarter of the two IMHO lets her think she's in charge lol. If I do keep them I do want to connect their cage to the bucks cage beside them and move the bucks into new cages. And I will look into breeding in a colony setting and find out what all I need to know and then decide from there whether the risk is or isn't worth it.

Latest posts

Back