What Rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcNemar

Reaction score
Okay, so my husband wants me to get a smaller pet rabbit before I try my hand at a Silver Fox. We compromised because he wants me to make sure I'll actually enjoy caring for a rabbit before buying more expensive rabbits that I have to try five hours one way to even purchase.

If I'm going for a smaller rabbit, what breeds might be best for pet purposes? I hear the Mini-Rex is really good and very friendly. If I'm getting a pet I want it to be smallish 4-5 pounds, and affectionate. I also hear that a male makes a better pet. Ultimately it'll depend on what I can find in my area for a reasonable price, but I'll want to explore my local options with good advice.

Can anyone suggest some other really good breeds for what I'm looking for in a pet? Puppy-like personalities would be awesome for a pet rabbit. :)

MR are great buns for pets, from what I've heard. My rabbits are a buck dwarf mix and a harlequin lionhead mix and both are very affectionate. Sometimes, it just depends on the rabbit too. You can have a very friendly ND, and another can be agressive. It all depends. But some pretty set-in-stone breeds include (In my opinion) Holland Lops, Mini Lops, most ND and Lionheads. These are all relatively small breeds. You could also get a small mutt bunny, they need homes too :)

Thanks for the breed suggestions. Like I said, it's really going to end up being what I can find. I'll check out the local trader's guide when I'm ready to get a bunny and see what people have to offer. :)

look around and find out what the pet people are selling in your area. you could go with the proven for your area, or try to introduce something new. :)

Generally popular small pets in MY area: holland lops, Netherland dwarf, polish, mini rex, lionheads and dwarf hotot.

Starting to make an appearance are brittania petite and fuzzy hollands.

There is a breeder about an hour away that breeds tri-color Holland Lops. I'd never seen one before! They are sooooooooo cute. I think I might buy one when I get the chance to get my pet bunny. Is $50 too much for one?

PMcNemar":2hf0ajwh said:
There is a breeder about an hour away that breeds tri-color Holland Lops. I'd never seen one before! They are sooooooooo cute. I think I might buy one when I get the chance to get my pet bunny. Is $50 too much for one?
Not atall IMO- that seems to be a fair price for a quality HLop. :)

Hearing so many of you mention holland lops makes me want one of the cute little buggers more and more. lol

Yeah, I think I'm definitely going to have to go with the holland lop. :)

Try adoptapet.com or petfinder.com for pets. The Chicago shelter I found through these sites neuters all their rabbits & housetrains them. Neutered rabbits have fewer behavioral problems & tend to live longer.

Holland lops and fuzzy lops have more puppy personalitys.pet quality here are about 25 dollara.tris are unusual.

Neutered rabbits have fewer behavioral problems & tend to live longer.

Really?
I would like to know where you got your information,
just curious to know the particulars that prove that fact.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":3liq8hxk said:
Neutered rabbits have fewer behavioral problems & tend to live longer.

Really?
I would like to know where you got your information,
just curious to know the particulars that prove that fact.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

sounds like a H$U$ line to me....I could be wrong....just sayin'...

I'm thinking of getting another rabbit. I have a 9 month old dwarf mixed we think. the vet is not should what kind of mix he is. I was told when we got him that he is a Netherlands dwarf but the vet thinks he is mixed. Because of his size. he is a indoor rabbit. so what would be another good dwarf to get for a pet for my kids? I'm still new. Learning this web site. So I don't know how to post pictures on here yet.

You should not get another rabbit until your rabbit is neutered. Male rabbits always fight with other males and a female will get pregnant and you could end up with 6 to 10 kits every month !

It is not easy to find good homes especially for larger or mix breed rabbits and most breeders will cull extra rabbit when they dont find homes for them rather than contribute to the rabbit over population problem.

my current rabbit is half dwarf and half something else. I'm not getting another rabbit soon. I'm just getting information first. :bunnyhop:

__________ 3UTC15, 20142014-10-15T10:49:58+00:0031 15,2014 10:46 am10 __________

I'm still going to keep the rabbit I have now. we just want another to. what kind be a good rabbit that is 5 lbs or less and that is good for indoor and good with kids?

Latest posts

Back