What kind of wood

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
what kind of wood is best for rabbits to chew on to keep there teeth good?
Does it matter what kind?Or is there some kinds that are bad?

~ Farm Girl ~

I think the most favourite by far with my rabbits is apple tree branches. I have pine resting boards in their cages which they occasionally chew on.

Stay away from any chemically treated/sprayed wood.

Untreated pieces of lumber can be used... I suppose they would usually be pine or fir.

I prefer to give my rabbits natural tree branches from trees I know to be safe: apple, pear, willow, sugar or silver maple, sycamore, aspen, poplar, elm, birch. You can find the botanical names for most of these in the SAFE PLANTS sticky, if you are hazy on tree IDs.

Thanks everybunny, I was just wondering because I needed a bigger piece so that it doesn't fall through the wire, her apple & pear sticks keep falling through and she can't eat them, so I just needed something bigger so she can actually eat it . :D

I'm going to go get some sycamore branches tomorrow ( hopefully I can get them down :)

I give mine small peices of 2x4 lumber that I always have from projects around here. I think it's spruce. I usually cut them up in smaller triangular pieces and they happily push them around and chew on them until they are small enough to fall out through the 1" wire. They also get pine cones and apple branches.

when we cut firewood we cut wedges off all the safe wood ends too :)

we seem to always be doing firewood (unless I'm weeding)

Is oak safe for them to eat?
I know I probably sound way to careful, and I feel really silly always asking if this or that is safe, but I certainly don't want to feed my
rabbit something bad for it and have her die, I would feel really bad. ;)

I am like you and prefer to err on the side of caution - I don't feed oak leaves so I wouldn't feed oak wood

There should be no problem with oak wood. The reason oak leaves and bark are spoken ill of is due to the tannic acid in them. It is in the same feeding category as oxalic acid. Most all hardwood leaves have tannic acid in them. In excess it is a problem, the same as Oxalic acid is a problem in some vegetables. Almost every leafy and/or root vegetable we have has oxalic acid. Unless eaten in massive quantities, one only has to be careful in certain ones such as rhubarb.

There are toxins, in everything from spinach to kidney beans, to zucchini. The word "toxin" should not be equated with the word "poison" .... A little oxalic acid or tannic acid is no harm to anything. Even vitamin A and D are toxic in large amounts.

I routinely pick clover to feed my rabbits, this time of year and in the fall, there are usually Oak leaves mixed in. I used to bother taking them out. I have put rabbits outside in a kennel and let them eat what they want. They will almost always select a dry oak leaf or two to eat first. One will not see them eat another, until the next morning when they are put out, when the process will repeat itself. I have observed no harmful effects from this, and the rabbits apparently think the need something from those leaves (they will pick them, over any of the other fall leaves floating around the yard).

With common herbaceous toxins, like oxalic acid and tannic acid, it is basically just a matter of common sense. Rabbits give free range may eat an oak leaf or two. The same rabbits in a cage, might eat enough oak leaves to cause themselves harm if they were offered no other vegetative source.

Oak wood is fine. An oak "branch" may have a lot of tannin laden bark. It is probably best not to give.

I think we need to draw up some kind of list to differentiate between plants with these kinds of toxins and plants like foxglove and nightshade, etc.

Back