What kind of meat rabbit...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollylequesne

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting some meat rabbits in the spring. What would be a good kind to get. The only one i am familar with is the flemmish giant. and from I've seen they can get big ( thats what i want!) so what would be some other breeds?

flemmy's not the best meat rabbit, though I'm told they make okay crosses.

Depends on what you want in a meat rabbit.

Brun's are nice (ask devon).
Some of us do NZ (in the various colours)
Others do Harlequins, and some just do meat crosses.

Flemish giants are big, but they also have a heavy bone structure, so the meat/bone ratio is not as good as with some of the other breeds. In addition, they are slower to mature.

New Zealands and Californians are classic meat rabbits. They weigh in the 10 - 12 pound range at maturity and they grow quickly in the fryer stage. Other people choose something with prettier fur: silver fox, creme d'argent and standard rex come to mind. Harlequins are a good meat rabbit, but are on a slightly smaller scale. There's lots of good choices!

My rabbits are just meat mutts: mixed breed rabbits with a decent meat rabbit shape and size. I'm quite happy with them for producing meat for the home table. I find them to be easy care rabbits.

From the various studies done on the meat types, for purebreds, they say the NWZ gives the most meat to bone ratio, and the best feed cost ration (how much it takes in feed to reach a certain weight)

But...individual rabbits would vary, and a lot of it is "what is available for purchase in my area". I know a man here in Wisconsin that has Californians and NWZ...and he crosses them. has great success there. And..well...ANY rabbit can be a meat rabbit. Just depends on how MUCH meat you want and how quickly.

New Zealands and Cals are the most common meat breeds, but according to "Storey's Guide to raising rabbits" the Argent breeds actually have a better meat to bone ratio then the average NZ or Cal. I have certainly heard this from breeders who raise all three breeds. Better yet the Argent breeds have a very nice coat of fur on them and if you get into the spirit of using 100% of the buffalo so to speak, the ones you don't send to the freezer as fryers. Like in my case I'm showing them as well, so when I cull the ones that don't show as well as I hoped, I can tan the hides after culling them. (which works for any breed, but I find a white hide can be too generic).

Start watching for sighns & checking your newspapers around Easter. Usually people sell them at that time.

Also our Tractor Supply stores sell baby rabbits in early spring too, usually before easter.

hollylequesne":3ibaev1x said:
i don't think many people raise rabbits around me, but you never know eh?!

Try checking out the MRBA (Maritime Rabbit Breeders Association), they have a members list on their website. If there are no members near you, you could inquire if they know of any rabbit breeders in your area. Often rabbit people know other rabbit people who know other rabbit people...

Marian

Latest posts

Back