What kind of feed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevonW

Reaction score
Do you use for your rabbits?

I'm using Floradale 17% protein. Made with alfalfa meal, these rations are specially formulated for a rabbit’s unique digestive tract, providing optimum nutrient absorption and utilization. These feeds also contain natural ingredients for drug-free mycotoxin control.

All in all I've been very impressed with this feed, and unlike other feeds my rabbits actually eat it.

Right now I'm mostly using Bunnyview.
I used to use Shurgain - which was okay, and before that the stuff from the local mill. Local mill was getting to pricely for me.

Then I found Bunnyview which is cheaper with more protein.

I'm still not sure I like the increased protein, though my growers do well on it.

I'm still trying to figure out what I think will be the right feed.

I use to get a 19% protein feed until TSC decided to stop supplying it. I absolutely loved it and it made the rabbits look amazing, their coats were so glossy on it and they just had an overall better feel. So I have to make do with the 17% now, so they get their sweet feed more often then not.

my mini rex and meat buns do well on 17%, I do not like how my lops do on it. and my boys don't need that high of protein. But trying to do some for one, and some for another gets confusing with my current set up.

NOW...if I could put all my bucks into the grower/isolation/weaner tent, and all my loppies too...would be easy peasy to keep it all separated. But that does no good for isolation does it?

There are so many regional feeds out there, and even the major feeds seem that they can differ region to region, that it is hard to suggest a feed. I use Purina (green) and it works great for me... I find that it has been consistant for years and years, and I like it for that reason. Although I have raised rabbits in several different states, it turns out that the feed in each comes fromt the same regional mill around St Louis. There are other regional mills out there, that may turn out a somewhat different product. I do not show any more, only raise meat rabbits, so I am looking for what is economical and works well for me.
It might best for most folks to find out what is a good, quality, feed around their area. I tend to trust the larger mills here in Missouri more than the local manufacturers, because there quality control is better. Yet there is a small mill in the southern part of the state that produces excellent rabbit food, and a very economical price. They don't sell this far north, so I can't reasonably use them.

I feed health and son or something like that cant reamber. Its %17 protein and i have not had a problem with it though there seems to be lots of fines. So ive been calling around and checking brands and prices.Im Thinking about going with pen pal but there is a new mill that opened up and will be selling %16 feed.
avdpas77 Mind telling me of that small mill they may not be to far from me

randtrabbitry":18dlaxva said:
I feed health and son or something like that cant reamber. Its %17 protein and i have not had a problem with it though there seems to be lots of fines. So ive been calling around and checking brands and prices.Im Thinking about going with pen pal but there is a new mill that opened up and will be selling %16 feed.
avdpas77 Mind telling me of that small mill they may not be to far from me
To be truthful, I don't remember. I belive it is in Gainsville. I have seen others that use it, among them being commercial users, and they were very happy. I am also making the assumption that it still in business, and hasn't changed their formula. I rmember it was several dollars a bag less expensive than the Purina, and I belive had a point more protein. You might PM Orphy, over on HT. I believe she uses it.

I just switched to Tucker Milling feed. It is milled in Alabama and the two bags I've purchased were milled within a month of purchase. That is the freshest I've seen in my area. The ingredients list is comparable to my previous feed (Big Red) which I had good success with. The Tucker feed is cheaper by about $2. It is a 17% protein feed with high fiber.

I use a grain feed that is pretty much the recipe from the late Oren Reynolds as described in Storey's book. I also give them as much hay as they want (mostly alfalfa--at least two of my rabbits won't eat grass hay), and an occasional apple.

every time I use or get a brand of pellets that isn't Martin's I end up disappointed ...

p&e rabbitry":1vy3dyiv said:
I feed and sell kalmbach rabbit pellets and have been extremely pleased with them. Rabbits seam to do really well and I never have leftovers in the bowls.

I recently purchased a MR doe from Phil, and yes-- the little girl was in excellent condition-- she actually went on a hunger strike before deciding she liked my feeding regimen. My closest source for Kalmbach, however, does not deliver out here--but i did find a brand that seemed to pretty much duplicate(color, texture, smell) the supply that Phil sent with Stoni--and she likes it--soooooo

Ok, so what are the advantages/disadvantages of the protein levels? I'm trying to decide if I need to adjust my meat pen rabbits. They are currently on an 18%, but I can put them on a 16.5% or 15%. They are also getting oats, BOSS, and another supplement to get them ready for the show. It seems like the people I got them from and another lady I talked to used the 16.5%. Do I need to change to that? They are currently 5 weeks and I have 5 more to get them ready. I also give them free choice hay, which I don't believe either of them were doing.
Will they gain too quickly if I leave them on the 18%? I have to keep them under 5# at 10 weeks.

AdamsFamilyFarm":19sjljd0 said:
Ok, so what are the advantages/disadvantages of the protein levels? I'm trying to decide if I need to adjust my meat pen rabbits. They are currently on an 18%, but I can put them on a 16.5% or 15%. They are also getting oats, BOSS, and another supplement to get them ready for the show. It seems like the people I got them from and another lady I talked to used the 16.5%. Do I need to change to that? They are currently 5 weeks and I have 5 more to get them ready. I also give them free choice hay, which I don't believe either of them were doing.
Will they gain too quickly if I leave them on the 18%? I have to keep them under 5# at 10 weeks.

Higher protein levels usually lead to faster weight gains.The weight gains are not tied into the skeletal growth rate. Higher levels of proteins can also cause problems for the urinary tract-- especially the kidneys. You will have to balance/adjust the protein intake to meet your needs. I prefer that animals gain weight slowly, so that the skeletal structure is not injured during growth. If its a meat pen-- you don't have to worry so much about the end product as far as skeletal issues are concerned, but if talking conformation, for show and lifelong health, you may want to go down the middle road. a little bit higher protein, but not the max available-- when the desired condition is achieved, then adjust the proteins downward a tad and replace with barley to maintain the flesh condition. And don't forget the exercise!!!!

I wouldn't change your meat pens's diet this close to the show at all. Keep checking their weights daily and if you think they are getting to close to weight too fast, start decreasing what you are feeding them bit by bit. Its too late for a drastic protein drop and they will most likely start a moult and lose "condition".It would be better to drop the BOSS or the other suplement you are feeding first.Your older open does might be alright with a drop in protein to 16.5%.

Frosted Rabbits":1f7crm25 said:
p&e rabbitry":1f7crm25 said:
I feed and sell kalmbach rabbit pellets and have been extremely pleased with them. Rabbits seam to do really well and I never have leftovers in the bowls.

I recently purchased a MR doe from Phil, and yes-- the little girl was in excellent condition-- she actually went on a hunger strike before deciding she liked my feeding regimen. My closest source for Kalmbach, however, does not deliver out here--but i did find a brand that seemed to pretty much duplicate(color, texture, smell) the supply that Phil sent with Stoni--and she likes it--soooooo

Hey Terry

Have had a couple people say the same. I guess the rabbits really like the food. Sorry I haven't got back to you yet on the other rabbits but trust me they are doing just fine. I will try to pm you soon on those.

Later

Phil

Back