Register

What is your buns weekly avg weight gain?

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 5,273.00

What is your buns weekly avg weight gain?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 am

Stared a new topic as a spin off my other post, but trying to see what is possible for weight gain in the next three weeks. Is it at all possible for a meat rabbit to gain a lb/week? I do realize there are lots of factors, but just wondering if it's even possible or if we are probably out of luck. And curious what other avg weight gain per day or per week is.....

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 8,339.00

Re: What is your buns weekly avg weight gain?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Homer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:40 am

When they hit the right age it's amazing how much they grow in a week. Currently mine have put on 12-14oz. a week but that's not fare. I have a litter of 7 Flemish that are eating 12 cups of food twice a day right now. :o You can almost see them growing. :P They always seem to grow in spurts ya know. Grow like that a couple weeks then slow down to only a couple ounces for a couple. Butterballs one week then long and lanky the next. :lol:

Oh yeah, they're 10 weeks old now and have done this a couple times if that helps any.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
macksmom98

1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 5,273.00

Re: What is your buns weekly avg weight gain?

Post Number:#3  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:12 am

It does help! I want to be realistic and I know anyone with a chance of winning is basically right at 5 lbs. It will help me to prepare my daughter and plan for next year, to breed sooner. But even if ours do some of what you said I have hope we can get them to over 4lbs.....