What is the soonest a doe pulls fur?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
I bred my doe weeks ago, and we put out nest boxes yesterday, only because we were leaving for an overnight out of town and didn't have time to look up all the breeding dates.... so we just put nest boxes in all the does' cages.

Anyhow, one doe made a nest and pulled fur, but as I mentioned she was bred only 2 weeks ago. Is this normal? Has anyone else had a doe pull fur only 2 weeks after breeding?

Thanks.

some rabbits pull fur as soon as they see a nestbox.

others pull fur immediately before they kindle.

I've had does ask for a nestbox up to 15 days before kindle and others simply won't.

It's best to write down dates and most of the time I do... but right now I'm flummoxed as well by busyness and neglecting to write things down myself. So I"m playing the guessing game as well. :)

I've also had a doe pull two weeks early. Annoyed the heck out of me as I knew she was bred but I didn't know when she had been bred. (Bought her from a pet store that housed bucks and does together... :mad: ) Before her I only had does that pulled the day before. I waited expecting to find kits every morning for two weeks as she kept adding a bit more fur every day. The suspense was killing me! By the time she finally kindled, she was nearly bald. :) Great mom though!

I have a doe getting a nest box next Friday (day 28), haystaching and pulling fur now. That's what she does, she is always a Girl Scout ;)

Back