What is she doing?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So my gorgeous REW doe Butterball currently has a litter of 3, this is her fifth? litter and this is the first time she's lost any, and she only lost one that I assume was DOA because it was so tiny and born separate from the rest.

But anyway she's been doing this patting/pushing thing, she puts her front feet together and very gently push's against either the bottom edge of the nest box or the wire cage right in front of it, any idea what this behavior means? Is she ok?

My guess is that she's amusing herself trying to drive you crazy by pursuing a meaningless activity, just like so many of the rabbits in the thread Games Bunnies Play. :lol:
games-bunnies-play-t1122.html

Joking aside, Buttons, I have no idea what she's doing. I doubt it's anything serious. If she's not doing any harm, just keep an unobtrusive eye on her behaviour and see what develops.

Perfectly fine! :D
You're describing a sort of packing behavior, when a doe packs the dirt to seals off the entrance of her burrow to keep her kits in and predators out.
So she's just being silly, and thinks they're in a burrow and need to be grounded. :lol:

Nyctra, You are brilliant!

In my rabbit colony, the does often sealed off the entrance to the nest tunnel, just in the manner you have described.

It kind of reminds me of the way both Marilla and Jenny (my moggies, past and present) insist on digging next to their water bowls when they want a drink. They seem to think you have to dig for water . . . and as house cats are descended from a desert species.

Instincts die hard!

I was thinking she was trying to cover them up, it was the cutest thing I've ever seen but it stumped me as to whether it meant something bad or not. My mom was like is she sick?! I was like nah, she's eating and the such lol Thank you guys! :)

Back