What is on my bunnies nose?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it looks more like dried snot, maybe he got some irritant up his nose.

I would wipe it carefully with soft, damp cloth and look if the skin is affected in any way. If it is Syphilis would be my guess too, check his other end too.

That's good. My rabbits sometimes produce a little snot, and that looks somewhat like that. I can't tell if that is normal or due to something they carry - anyway, they don't get sick. Keep an eye on it, if it doesn't disappear a trip to the vet may be in order.

heritage":2n76y939 said:
Is that dark spot a scab area or just the color of the rabbit?

I don't know and it's too dark outside now to go look.

I did try to wipe off his nose and he didn't like it one bit. I used a warm wet cloth and he put up a heck of a fight trying to get me with his back feet.

It is hard to tell from the photo, but if it is more scab-y (which it look like to me) than dried, stuck-on crusty stuff, I would say it is probably vent disease. Rabbits can get it on their face whether or not there are any signs on the genitalia. You can do a google search to find the appropriate dosage for Pen-G, which is what we usually use for vent.

If it is dried, crusty nasal discharge, then it could be any number of respiratory infections or irritations. It could be something as innocuous as a piece of hay or pellet stuck in the nose to something as dreadful as pasturella. Some people cull immediately for nasal discharge while others will quarantine and watch. Some will treat depending on the cause. Pasturella cannot be cured, only symptoms controlled. A culture is the best way to know if you are indeed dealing with pasturella.

It does look more like vent disease to me, though.

Here is a picture from today. Looks a tiny bit better.

What you would think it is at this point?

Thank you.

DSC_1790_resize.JPG

Latest posts

Back