What in tarnation? Lol

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
One of my netherland litters have very fluffy fur yet they are purebreds. Im guessing somewhere down the line there was a cross somewhere. My question is, how do i explain this to the people buying them? Do i simply say its somehow a hidden gene that popped up with this litter? Weird thing is, ive paired this same pair up 2x befor and never had a kit with long poofy hair. Now all in this litter are fluff balls. Cute as buttons but definitely not netherland fur. They look more like Jersey Woolies..

The long hair/wool gene does exist in netherlands. They call them fuzzy netherlands iirc. It's a simple recessive gene, and not desired in a ND program. Sometimes you can even show the fuzzy netherlands as jersey woolies, but usually they don't have near the fur quality as a JW line that's been bred for wool for generations (and sometimes fuzzy netherlands are bred into JW lines). If they all have the fluffy fur I'd wait some time though, sometimes they just look very puffy as babies, because it is unlikely (but not impossible) that the whole litter inherited two recessive genes.

I can't say I have the faintest idea what's causing it (although even Angora coats were once just a mutation), but I'd love to see those fluff-balls! :oops:

(Thank you, SableSteel for the excellent explanation!)

Thats so weird. I never knew they could carry this gene. Ty so much sable. You are a true asset to our bunny community :)

And i will definitely get some pics to share with the class lol. :)

__________ Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:16 pm __________

Ok i think i got it.. meaning an actual pic vs a link thanks to Kimitsu :)
This is the fuzziest of the litter

25u1x5t.jpg

__________ Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:16 pm __________

Uh... its sideways lmao

__________ Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:20 pm __________

This is the next fuzziest, buck chestnut vm

2cfz1ax.jpg

And again its sideways? Well do i get points for trying at least? Lmao

__________ Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 pm __________

I even tried rotating the original pic and then uploading it.. i give up for now but hey... turning our heads is better than links.. correct? Hahaha <br /><br /> __________ Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:32 pm __________ <br /><br /> Ah ha! Figured it out. Tinypic does NOT like vertical photos lol you have to have your phone sideways... (miffy my old kitty was my Guinea pig) lol
2wrjkgj.jpg

Latest posts

Back