What genetic color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almiraj

Reaction score
I have a BEW English Angora buck I'm trying to figure out his 'color'. In his pedigree his great grandparents have a Lynx, a Lilac, and a Black. All three are VM and bred to BEW. The rest of his pedigree is all BEW.
When he was bred to a Blue-self English Angora they produced 2 Blues and a Opal.
When he was bred to a Chinchilla-self Mixbreed they produced 2 Black Agouti, 3 Chestnut Agouti, and 4 Opals.

My guess would be Opal but that's just a fun guess. Really, we know he is full color (not chin) and agouti but beyond that you can't be sure of anything. Because of the ratio of dense to dilute I'd guess he'd be dilute under the BEW too but we don't have have enough offspring out of him to determine that with any confidence.

He does have another 10 offspring but they were with a BEW doe. I never intended to use him for breeding anything other than BEW, so his 'color' didn't matter. However someone wanted a baby from my blue doe's bloodline(it is an awesome wool bloodline), and he was the only buck I had.
As for the chinchilla doe, the kids did that... it wasn't planned by me.

The reason I'm trying to find out his color is a friend of mine's kid has a black VM rex mixbreed, that they want to breed for 4H project. They don't want to own a buck, and they don't know if the kid will really want to stick with 4H, so they want to do a project as cost effective as possible. So I offered her my boy for stud. But they need as much genetic history as possible for the project, so I'm trying my best for them.

If he produced opal with a blue doe, you know he carries agouti <A>. But he also produced blues, so he must also carry <a> making him <Aa>. I'm not sure what "Black Agouti" is but if you mean Self chinchilla, that's another clue he caries <a>.
No data on black <B> or chocolate <b> since both does he's bred had at least one <B> which would dominate <b> even if he was homozygous for it.
He produced opal and chestnut so he carries <C> to override the chinchilla <chd> from the chin doe. But at the other locus he could be anything.
If he produced blues, you know for sure that he carries dilute since it takes <d> from each parent to make blue. Since all offspring from the blue doe was opal or blue, you can hypothesize he's <dd> but like SableSteel points out, that is a pretty small sample to be sure.
No broken offspring so he's most likely <en en>.
And he's BEW so he's <v v >.
This suggests he is Aa _ _ C_ ?d _ _ enen vv

Bred with a black VM doe of unknown heritage I'd expect chestnuts, blacks, and BEWs. If she carries <d> too, you could also get opals and blues.
If they both happen to carry chocolate there's a chance of amber, chocolate, lynx or lilac.
There's also that C locus wildcard; both parents are <C_>; depending on what they carry at the second place you could get chins, cals or REWs.

Latest posts

Back