What do you use in your litter box?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have just acquired our first HOUSE RABBIT.
Smoky is a little Netherland Dwarf with a big cage.
I would like to get him litter trained so it is easier to keep the cage clean.
He is currently in a wire bottom 20"x40" cage with a shelf ... lots of room for him to run and explore.

What does everyone use for litter in the litter box?
(can we just use cat litter? we use a scoopable for the cats) <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24 am -- <br /><br /> smoky.png

smoky 2.png

Smoky's cage.png

Due to the dust that comes from cat litters, they are not safe to use with our rabbits. It is also the fact that the clumping forms of cat litter when ingested can cause a blockage. The ingredients are also toxic to rabbits. You are much better off using shavings, NOT made from cedar or pine, yesterdays news (paper pellets), and that fluffy paper stuff that they use in small rodent cages. I have also seen and heard about using the pellets from pellet stoves as a litter due to its absorbent properties.

Clay kitty litter on the bottom and wood chips over that

Rather than use wood chips all over the floor, I put in ceramic tiles with the rough side up

In my litter box I stuck with the easiest option for me. I just get a large bag of wood shavings from our petshop we go to. Then I put newspaper on the bottom to work as a base to avoid getting little shaving scum stuff. Then I put a few handfuls of shavings ( but not too much otherwise it is a waste of shavings) to cover that. So far it is working very well. If I lived in america tho I would use safe wood pellets.

Latest posts

Back