What do I do during a fight?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptbunny8087

Reaction score
I have 2 holland lop does that get along with a cage in between. I want to put them together but i dont know what to do when they fight. They have been together before and just humped each other. When they fight what should i do? Should I grab one? Should I leave them? Will they get along? Will they do damage to each other?

Does are very territorial. I would not house them together in a cage. In a large colony, they may get along but in a cage they could easily kill each other. You can't watch them all the time.

I agree with Maggie. If you were going to try a colony and had a large enclosure then it might be worth a shot but no doubling up in cages.

How big of a space are you wanting to try them in?

I had a buck take off a does nose one day when I left her with him. Up til then and always since, there has not been any aggression from him tward any other doe.

If you do put them together make sure its in a very large space with LOTS of things to get in and under and behind.

And take it slow. Give them an hour or two together and then put them back in their cages. Do that for awhile and see how they get on.

In case of a fight, grab the first one you can catch.

If they are on the ground in a colony pen it's a good idea to use your foot to shove them apart and if they go back at it secure one after that. Sticking your hands in to an animal fight is a good way to get bit. However if you have to the suggested way to separate animals like dogs is to grab the back legs of one and pull it backward so you aren't reaching near anyone's mouth.

Some does will act aggressive to each other even in a large colony. Most of the time this can be ignored unless too much fur is flying or blood is drawn. They will jump in the air and try to throw each other down on the ground. Eventually one backs down and starts running while the other chases. They then settle down after a couple days of that. There are occasionally exceptions where one will harass the other continually until it can't eat or drink and suffers health problems. Unless there's a colony setup problem that can solve it like not enough objects to break up the space and provide hiding. It's best then to remove one of them depending on who is getting along the best with the rest of the colony.

The absolute smallest space I have kept 2 does in is 3x6' and that was with dwarf or mini rex breeds and laid back does. I suggest a space closer to 8x10' or 10x10' for most rabbits.

Thanks you so much! This really helped!

For some questions
I will just have them running around in the shed which is a really big space the have stuff to jump up in and hide under

They have been together and they ignored each other...

Again, thank you so much this really helped me!

Latest posts

Back