What colors would I get?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riose

Reaction score
What colors would I get if I breed a broken black buck to a Charlie doe?

Attachments

• cleo and oreo.JPG
    cleo and oreo.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 1,243
all charlies & depending on what the charlie's color is you could get anything. For example if the charlie was black, you would get black and possibly blue [if they both carried dilute], charlies.

If you breed the charlie to a solid, all the babies will be broken. That might be a better match, unless you are WANTING all charlies.

Charlies have minimal markings and potential health issues. They often suffer digestive tract disorders if not fed on extra high fiber diets and may have vision or tooth problems. These are common issues with certain gene types in every animal. A charlie also has poor markings being nearly all white and is not showable. For those reasons it is not suggested to breed charlies. Brokens are usually bred to solids with good marked brokens in their background to avoid producing charlies. A few breed a charlie and then cross it to solids because that will produce 100% brokens. This is considered more responsible breeding practices than creating tons of charlies unless there is a specific purpose in mind and good attention is paid to keeping and breeding only the healthiest of animals.

If you like nearly all white animals you can combine the dutch pattern with the broken to get very little color including the dwarf hotot which only have black eye rings and the rest is solid white.

NO
if you are hoping to show, well, this is not a good mating.
you will get 3/4 charlies 1/4 broken
NOT a good thing, charlies are used to breed back to a solid to produce a full litter of brokens.

as far as those, they look black, which will get you anything and 50% black as it's B_ crossed B_

I was mistaken about ALL charlies. I was thinking about it as I was just feeding& realized that it would actually be 1/2 charlie & 1/2broken. Since the broken carries a solid gene 1/2 the time that solid gene would pair with the broken from the charlie and produce a broken. the other half it would pair with the broken gene and produce chrlie.

I still have to do the boxes to remember how it turns out
what kills me is when you do a generational chart or a full color/pattern layout too many pieces

But then I breed red rabbits, I don't have to worry about pesky things like pattern (actually there is a theory that Tan is a pattern that can be expressed under the red leading to differing light/dark areas) and color.

Are the ones in this picture broken and charlie or are they something else?

The one with lots of black is a broken, and the charlie is the one with less than 10% color.

Every now and then you get a broken with so little color it looks like a charlie when it isn't but usually a rabbit with no body markings or only a few dots and just the eye and ear markings are charlies. If you know both parents are brokens you can also be pretty confident any rabbits with practically no markings are charlies. You'd have to breed to a solid rabbit and see if you got any solid offspring to be 100% sure.

Back