What color are these hollands

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

home*sweet*home

Reaction score
So here are our surprise babies. I am thinking they are 3 weeks old. The Buck is a black tort and the doe is a broken black tort. You can see their pedigrees here http://www.lopsbyleah.com (Lopsy and Jaylene)
Thank you

I know I have two black torts.

I am pretty sure this doe is a broken black tort? But her color seems to be lighter and different that my other broken black torts. What do you think?
brokendoe-3.jpg

brokendoe-2.jpg

brokendoe-1.jpg

Here is the other one in question. I am thinking sable point? Maybe broken sable point? Her mother's breeder said that the line has thrown sable points before.

sabledoe-4.jpg

sabledoe-3.jpg

sabledoe-2.jpg

sabledoe-1.jpg

I think I see a white blaze on #2's head- and her lips are white too. I'm not familiar with the color standards, but I think she is a broken of whatever her base color is- when we have broken Siamese kittens it is really hard to see the white markings at first (especially the flame points), although I've gotten pretty good at it.

MamaSheepdog":1kx8bdaa said:
I think I see a white blaze on #2's head- and her lips are white too. I'm not familiar with the color standards, but I think she is a broken of whatever her base color is- when we have broken Siamese kittens it is really hard to see the white markings at first (especially the flame points), although I've gotten pretty good at it.

That is what I was thinking. I have been looking at pictures. I am thinking broken sable point. There are some white "spots" on the back too. The broken pattern looks almost the same as her sister.<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:31 am __________<br /><br />
4hgirl":1kx8bdaa said:
I don't know what color they are but they are ADORABLE! :)

Thank you! We think so, what a great surprise they were!

It was the little broken doe hopping around in the colony that let us know about her.

I thought I saw some white on her body as well, but it's hard to know if it's just the lighting in the pics. Do the pointed colors darken on the body like it does with Siamese cats? I love the contrast of white to color- gotta love that white-spotting gene!

MamaSheepdog":a5592e4i said:
I thought I saw some white on her body as well, but it's hard to know if it's just the lighting in the pics. Do the pointed colors darken on the body like it does with Siamese cats? I love the contrast of white to color- gotta love that white-spotting gene!

From what I understand a sable point looks like a siamese cat. They are usually darker though.

The mom is a broken tort and the dad is a black tort. The does's line has been known to throw sable points, which is why I suspect sable point, but maybe broken cause of the white. Sure not what I expected!<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 am __________<br /><br />This website has some great pictures of colors. You can see the sable point and then if you scroll down the broken sable point.

http://www.gbfarm.org/rabbit/holland-co ... aded.shtml

home*sweet*home said:
The mom is a broken tort and the dad is a black tort. The does's line has been known to throw sable points, which is why I suspect sable point, but maybe broken cause of the white. Sure not what I expected!

__________ Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 am __________

A surprise litter in more ways than one! :) After viewing the link, she looks like a blue to me- notice how much darker the body color is in the sable point kit.

MamaSheepdog":91ienmm6 said:
home*sweet*home":91ienmm6 said:
The mom is a broken tort and the dad is a black tort. The does's line has been known to throw sable points, which is why I suspect sable point, but maybe broken cause of the white. Sure not what I expected!

__________ Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 am __________

A surprise litter in more ways than one! :) After viewing the link, she looks like a blue to me- notice how much darker the body color is in the sable point kit.

Do you think a broken blue tort?<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:29 pm __________<br /><br />What about a frosty?
http://www.gbfarm.org/rabbit/holland-co ... band.shtml

In pics 1 and 2 it looks like she has a hint of orange under her eye and on the muzzle, but I don't see that in the other pics. I don't see any orange on her saddle at all, so I'm going with broken blue. Too bad JWQ is still on vacation- she'd probably know. BrambleHedge probably would too- what time is it in Australia, anyway???

I sent pictures of the babies to the second breeder that wanted the mother and I didnt mention the colors (just the funny story) and she said she looks like a broken sable point.

Maybe they can have lighter shades?

I'm sure they can- the better quality Siamese cats keep a very pale coat on the saddle.

In cats, the seal is always a true brown, without the ticking of lighter hairs that the bun has. I don't know if rabbits shed those hairs out, leaving only the darker fur that is beneath, but cats don't.

Which pics did you send to the breeder? In the ones in front of the tree, she has more brown tones- esp. on her nose. The bottom two show blue tones, but her right ear looks brown. Could she be a sable and blue broken harl? Is there such a thing?

MamaSheepdog":6dbkq5xh said:
I'm sure they can- the better quality Siamese cats keep a very pale coat on the saddle.

In cats, the seal is always a true brown, without the ticking of lighter hairs that the bun has. I don't know if rabbits shed those hairs out, leaving only the darker fur that is beneath, but cats don't.

Which pics did you send to the breeder? In the ones in front of the tree, she has more brown tones- esp. on her nose. The bottom two show blue tones, but her right ear looks brown. Could she be a sable and blue broken harl? Is there such a thing?

I sent all 4 pictures I have of her.

I think the white you are talking about is the broken part? I cant wait to see what she looks like when she grows. I just keep sticking to sable point because out of torts and a scattered blue tort I cant imagine getting anything, but this line is know to have an occational sable point.<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:21 pm __________<br /><br />
curlysue":6dbkq5xh said:
blue torts and broken sable points.I raise Holland lops too.

Who's the blue tort and who's the broken sable point?

Fisrt let me say they ae outstanding babies I love their chubby little faces, I am thinking the first little broken bunny is a broken Sooty Fawn (Black Tort), and the other little kit is looking like a point by the light shading over its hindquarters, althought the colour on her ears is puzzling me, I will be interested in what others think.

ladysown":3jmn6zu5 said:
last one is fairly identical to one I have. Broken Sable point.

Thank you, just yesterday, the breeder of my does said it was a broken sable point.

So excited to get her out of two black torts (one broken)

Latest posts

Back