What breed/mix?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBC

Reaction score
Just picked up two litters of dwarf rescues yesterday (accidental breedings)...trying to find them all nice pet homes, but figured the future owners will want to know what breed/mix they are.

Any ideas?

0222171124a_zpsjetamomv.jpg

0222171124b_zpsvzxrfgbh.jpg

0222171125_zpsnt0arvln.jpg

0222171125c_zps4bne4bxo.jpg

0222171123b_zpshgyj5rtb.jpg

That color is by far most commonly found in Holland lops. However, they usually have modifiers for a darker shade. Next most common is found in mini rex. They also have a head shape a bit more on the mini rex side. If I had to guess, I'd say mini rex mix or Holland lop mix. I don't really see any netherland dwarf in there, the head & ears are wrong, and that color is not only very rare in dwarfs, but recessive too.

Pretty buns - I like the color :) Looks cinnamon-ish...

Do you have an quarantine practices in place? I see them surrounded by other buns... I know the gentleman I bought some of my first rabbits from never did and sold me a beautiful Cali rabbit - complete with snuffles... which then spread to a couple other rabbits including my son's :( This was pre-RT before I knew what to look for, the huge red flags he was waving high (a couple times mentioning that he had been battling a "cold" in his rabbits all season among a number of other things), and that quarantine was very important with rabbits.

Netherland Dwarf is a breed but many other breeds carry the dwarfing gene

Their colour is called " black tortoishell" or tort for short

And i agree that they mostly look like Holland Lop (can also have the dwarfing gene) and Mini Rex (also can have the dwarfing gene)

"Do you have an quarantine practices in place?"
Um, not sure what you mean by quarantine...so I guess the answer would be no? I have them in separate cages from the other rabbits and they have their own feeder. They do share a watering system with the rest of my herd, but I made sure to put them down stream from everyone else. I did disinfect the cage before putting them in and it will be disinfected again when they leave before any of my rabbits use it. Is there something more I should be doing? I literally have no clue what I'm doing!

It's good practice to keep new rabbits in a separate barn/area for a month or so before introducing them to your herd, that way if they have any diseases they were carrying, you have a better chance of catching it before your rabbits get infected

a typical quarantine is at least two weeks away from all other rabbits. airbourne respiratory diseases known as snuffles are incredibly contagious and can wipe out entire rabbitries. a few of our members have had this happen to them and it's not fun :( stressors like being moved to a new location can cause diseases that are suppressed by the rabbit's immune system to come to the surface and be spread around, so even if they looked fine at their previous owners' place, they may suddenly become sick when moved. quarantine periods for new rabbits ensures less of a chance of disease being spread from someone else's barn to yours. though it's a bit late now, so here's to hoping they were healthy and your other bunnies are safe.

Oh wow, I had no idea they had to be in separate buildings! I guess it's too late to do anything about it now, but I'll definitely keep that in mind for future reference. How far apart do they have to be? Like, I only have the one barn that all my rabbits are in now and can't really afford to build a second one for quarantine, so I would have to rig something up. Just trying to figure out how to make it all work out.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

BeachBC":132k06p2 said:
Oh wow, I had no idea they had to be in separate buildings! I guess it's too late to do anything about it now, but I'll definitely keep that in mind for future reference. How far apart do they have to be? Like, I only have the one barn that all my rabbits are in now and can't really afford to build a second one for quarantine, so I would have to rig something up. Just trying to figure out how to make it all work out.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I have a small, single hutch set aside under some trees a decent distance from where the rest of the rabbits are. Also, feed and water them last so there isn't any accidental transfer on clothing or skin. Do you bring in a lot of new rabbits regularly? Not sure what I would do in that case. I am a bit leery of new buns now after getting sick ones early on (not knowing what to look for).

i don't have much space so i just have them as far away as possible - i keep my quarantines on the porch (about 100 yards or so away from the barn,) or inside the house depending on the situation. adult bucks are not allowed in my house ;p i'm not really sure what the recommended distance is from your herd, actually, but so far i haven't had any issues.

Back