What are the genetics of broken Rex doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJB

Reaction score
I'm driving myself a little crazy trying to figure out the genetics of a new broken Rex doe, lovingly named 'moon'. I'm new to understanding the genetics and have been reading everything I can - but matching our visuals to ABCDE is something I'm still learning.

moon-doe.jpg

We had a litter which completely threw me for a loop!

buck.jpg

moon-1st-litter.jpg

If helpful I can add more pictures of any one except the buck.

Thx golden rabbitry.

I've been fortunate enough to have poured over those sites and even ordered a two books.

Here is my guess on our doe, Moon:

She is a broken and had some solid kits. That means En, en

Given her color I would say full dilution, dd and B,-.

I think she had a Blue kit, Lilac kit, a tri-color (smutty?), a broken blue. I'm not sure on the last two with the light undercoat and belly. Is that a amber (chocolate) and lynx (lilac) agouti or otters? or something else entirely. Take a look at that pick and let me know what y'all think.

Thus, I can't tell is if she is a agouti, otter, or self. Could she have cchd (Dark Chinchilla) or cchl (Light Chinchilla) instead of C? Am I being tricked by a ee (non-extension) making everything light and hence the potential smutty (or torted) tri-color kit.

It's a great puzzle!

well, judging from the photo I'd say otter or agouti. Just split the fur with your fingers and see! Rings are Agouti. Judging by her muliple hair colors in her patches it's not self either. She doesn't appear to be a chinchilla. If she's agouti, the color would probably be broken castor full color. Something like Aa ^t BC-Dd Enen

Definitely not agouti--the tell-tale white lacing around the eyes, ears, and nose is not there.

A couple things from both her pics and her kits:
- She has at least one _a (self-color) and is not otter
- She is either Bb or bb: lilac kit is a bb and the blue kit is a Bb. (Her pics make me think bb)
- On the C locus, all we can tell is C_, may have a recessive underneath
- Definitely dd for dilution gene
- E locus is where things get fun ... that buff/orange is an extension, and I see it pop up in my blues, both Rex-furred and regular furred. She looks like she may be showing some orange in her fur ... possibly a broken harli? Unless it's been particularly hot, as my blues are looking a bit oragney right now in the heat.
- Definitely Enen if she is throwing solid babies, plus a enen would be a "charlie" where the rabbit is mostly white with only a small amount of color.

If someone with more experience on color genetics sees an error in what I've typed, please correct - I am especially fuzzy about the E-locus genes.

Back