what age to breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner1965

Reaction score
ive been researching at what age i should breed my nz calif cross does.ive seen everything from 4 months to 9 months.and also what age my buck will be ready.my rabbits are right at 4 months now and ive been checking them for heat for a week or so with no luck yet.my rabbits all appear very good sized but i have no idea what they weigh.will my buck be too young if he is the same age as my does? ive read that bucks need to be 7 months or so to start.any help from yuall would be greatly appreciated!

I start breeding between 4 1/2 and 5 months, as long as the doe is at least 8 lbs. I've bred bucks at 4 months in a pinch and the breedings take. This is, though, one subjects many breeders will disagree on.

With large breeds 6-8months is ideal. It's best to go on an individual basis though. Many people will start checking the rabbit for breeding condition after it meets senior weight for the breed. Senior weight on a NZ is 10lbs and a CA is 8.5lbs. Bucks should be able to breed younger than does but the younger they are the more misses you are likely to have.

Latest posts

Back