What about the white nose rabbit on home page?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgeek

Reaction score
So tell me about the white nosed rabbit on the home page?

I'm gonna take a wild guess and call it an American Blue with with St Nicolas markings, probably can be traced to the breeders back in Indiana.

Have a good day!

That rabbit on the home page was 100% yard sale mutt, a daughter of my original black broken doe, Patches, and her son, Tao (black with white shirt-front.) We have had some interesting offspring from this line of rabbits in the past and we still get a lot of colour in the nest boxes.

We will likely put up a different picture down the road a bit. We did not want to delay opening the site while we hunted for the "perfect" bunny picture.

Thats a very interesting rabbit.

If you get more of them I'd like to see them. I'm not always in search of the "perfect" rabbit.

Have a good day!

For anyone who is interested in the markings on this bunny, take a look at my doe Alice. I posted some pictures of her and last summer's kits in the gallery. She has the white nose and a suggestion of a blaze or star on her forehead, but she also has a white shirtfront and white front paws. Two of the kits had stars... but they were not among the ones we kept.

I'm thinking of breeding Alice to her son, one of the buff kits. Maybe they will produce some kits with interesting markings. :)

MaggieJ":3pr78lcp said:
For anyone who is interested in the markings on this bunny, take a look at my doe Alice. I posted some pictures of her and last summer's kits in the gallery. She has the white nose and a suggestion of a blaze or star on her forehead, but she also has a white shirtfront and white front paws. Two of the kits had stars... but they were not among the ones we kept.

I'm thinking of breeding Alice to her son, one of the buff kits. Maybe they will produce some kits with interesting markings. :)

I don't know much about rabbit genetics, but I can not really find any gene that would cause this except, perhaps, "dark dutch". Since I have no idea what rabbits with a dark dutch genes look like, I have no idea. The Dutch/english spot gene combination didn't seem to spark any attention from my inquirys, and since they are very closely linked on the same chromasome, it is perhaps unlikley anyway. Save those rabbits! You may be the proud owner of a new gene. I hope you breed Alice to her son....does he have any white markings?

Unfortunately, Alice's son (Thyme) does not have the white markings... but I figure he may carry them and that it would give Alice a better chance of having more popples with the markings. I could be wrong about that, but since we lost Basil (the buck that sired Alice's litter) this is the best I can do. The only other buck I have is Jasper, a NZR from Moonkitten.

Yes the vienna gene is recessive(incompletly). It is written as vv; non vienna rabbits are VV.Sometimes the vienna gene is quite noticable, sometimes there is no outward sign. The only reason you would know is because of what the parents are. They are sometimes refered to as vienna carrier or vienna marked. The more white present the more it looks like the dutch pattern. We once bred a bew holland lop to a normal holland and got a beautiful "dutch-marked orange" boy. It was almost perfect dutch marked! However it had nothing to do with dutch (Du) and was of course the vienna gene for blue eyed white. In other words mom had no vienna gene to give so he was not bew but VM. He had a pure black sister who showed no signs of any white whatsoever.She was a vienna carrier because her father gave her one set of the gene.If we were to have bred the brother and sister we would have got everything from a normal to a vienna marked to a full BEW, because they each carried one v gene.
Vv x Vv = VV (no gene); Vv (vienna carrier/marked); vv(BEW);vV(same as before just backward)
vv X VV = all vV (Carriers/marked)

vv X vv = all vv blue eyed white
vv X Vv = 75% vv and 25% vm
Remember these are odds for each kit not the whole litter so you could get an entire litter with nothing but one thing or another, how the genes combine is pretty much random!

Now the Dutch breeders claim a different gene is responsible for the beautiful dutch pattern and use DU I am not sure how it works and I have found it very hard to get info on this as there are not very many Dutch breeders and only a few who talk about how to breed for this pattern. I have a feeling they may be the same thing as vienna but haven't got much info about it. If that was the case it would work the same as the vienna where you would get carriers, non carriers and all white dutch! I did find one website with mention of this but it didn't mention the eye colour.

MaggieJ":38x7r0zu said:
This is Alice in Bunnyland, not Alice in Wonderland, AVD. :D

Hmmm... I need some new doe names.....I think Gracie would make a good one.

She will be happy as long as she doesn't end up in the resturant. :whistle:

Back