what a fun weekend

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
so I ended up going to a show that was about an hour away from me. I mainly went as support for a friend and a kind of look around and see if there was anything that interested me. I ended up coming home with a male Dutch rabbit, it was a pretty decent fine $10 for him and the pedigree. He's a little long in the shoulders but he has decent markings and a nice rump. though I'm kind of mad because there was a doe I almost came home with us as well. but I could sense something was wrong the moment I put my hands on her. She was very bony and underweight, but I figured she was just stress from coming from one show then going straight to another. she would have nicely complement in my male rabbit and she had nice type. Though just as we were just about to exchange money she ended up blowing SNOT. I am very grateful my friend andrea was there with me looking at the DOE. she helped me back out of the sale even though the lady said that the snot wasn't mucusy and she didn't think it was that one sickness. at that point Andrea and I both glanced at each other and just walked away. I don't think I've ever picked up a rabbit so fast and put it in its carrier until I've met that rabbit with white snot. since my new buck was near that doe that blew snot I'm going to have to keep an extra close eye on him in quarantine now. all in all though it was a fun day and I managed to get a decent rabbit for pretty cheap. I'll have to get a picture of him up for you guys here in a bit I'm currently on the road. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm __________ <br /><br />
Taurus_or_Pluto.jpg

Here is the new boy, very sweet and fell asleep in my arms while looking over him in the parking lot of walmart which I stopped at to pick him up a water bottle and a food dish. Any name suggestions for him? I was thinking either Taurus or Pluto. (I'm doing kind of a constellation/Greek/Roman god themed naming thing for my Dutch rabbits)

Also what would you guys have done in my shoes considering the snot blowing doe?

No name suggestions, but handsome boy. I would have walked away from that doe too. I feel sorry for any other unsuspecting rabbit owners who's buns we're around her too

TeaTimeBunnies":dzxzrd6f said:
No name suggestions, but handsome boy. I would have walked away from that doe too. I feel sorry for any other unsuspecting rabbit owners who's buns we're around her too
Haha thanks, he certainly was a steal and at one point we thought he only had one testicle. :lol: He faked us out though as he was just really good about tucking it up inside his body. Got him home though and it turns out he has a crooked toe on his right front foot from an old break. No biggie as he is just a brood buck (is that a thing?). Really wish I came home with a doe for him as well. The lady I REALLY wanted to get a doe from (she just won at nationals for her Dutches BOS and BOB) and watching her animals on the show table the judges only had nice things to say about them. While her competition was constantly swapping out rabbits her's were up there pretty much the whole time only swapping out when the genders, age, or colors changed. Goes to show the quality of her animals right there. :lol:

Only reason I couldn't get a doe from her though is because her grandaughter(?) is the one out of the two of them that breeds the blacks and blues and she wasn't there currently. She focuses on chocolates and one other color (Grey I think?) We both agreed that a doe of any color other then black or blue, despite how nice they look, will only muddy the colors and I didn't want that.

good thing you didnt take that doe, better safe then sorry especially with treats of snuffles epidemy. Good luck to the new boy though!

That's so great that you enjoyed your first show!

I spend many weeks going to shows with a friend that was interested in Rex and eventually managed to get a few ... well now she is a top tri rex breeder and I spent more time researching and watching shows... about a year and a half ago selected Magpie Harlequin as my rabbit... (Makes my friend shake her head and wonder why I didn't pick rex...lol)

There will be a rabbit out there that makes you "sit up and take notice" .... when that happens listen! I love my breed and will talk for hours about them if you stand close to me at a rabbit show too long!! :lol:

You've got the "show bug" now.... have fun!
(and bring a chair!)

SarniaTricia the Dutch kind of did that for me. Though down the road I won't be surprised if my rabbit preferences change. I have a friend that started out in Dutch, went to Mini Rex, and is now selling out of her Mini Rex to work with her dream rabbit the English Lops.

faiththequeen":3ekp4811 said:
Shows are soooo addictive! We go, even when we have nothing to show. LOL! Congrats on the little buck. SO happy you left that snotty doe behind. You'll find something. ;)

What about Somnus, God of sleep :lol:

I don't think that would fit him, I was in the garage earlier to check on my expecting doe (Frustrating the snot out of me she is, she was due yesterday gosh darn it! I want babies!) and he was throwing his food dish around in a fit for some reason.

Only idea for a name I have is "Datenshi" it means fallen angel in japanese and was the name of a buck I used to have. He was rly rly nice but he had to go after I decided I didnt want black rabbits in my stock anymore.
He was a vienna marked black single mane : http://kimitsukouseki.wixsite.com/bunbun-stories/datenshi

I know it's a bad suggestion, it's just the only one I can think of since he looks like him.

SarniaTricia":1hwvttwp said:
I think he looks like "Oz the Amazing!" You can of course shorten his name to just Oz...
:lol: I like that! His name is Oz the amazing shortened to Oz when referring to him. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:16 pm __________ <br /><br /> Update: I found a blue Dutch doe in my area! She was originally $10 but the lady offered her to me for free. The pedigree she thought she had for the girl was actually for act different rabbit act boy dutch. I'm not complaining! Just happy to have a breeding age doe. ^^

Thanks guys and... um... I got my first hater on a YouTube video of my rabbits. "Omg, your rabbits have the worst living conditions!" Browsed through their channel and they have ONE video showing off how their rabbit has a whole room to itself. :laugh:

I just pointed out I follow ARBA standards and how my rabbits are spoiled rotten with their area kept spotless, lol.

Latest posts

Back