What a day...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Well I did an accidental experiment of some sort on my rabbits lol. I had one kit born on day 34 (8-9-16) and 4 more kits born to a different doe on 8-13-16 on day 31. One kit was found on the wire with what I thought were possibly broke legs but in fact they were just swollen a bit and he was fine by the end of the day. But I decided to put the kit with the single one. The mom took it in immediately *great to know I have a foster bunny mom* But the kit I put in with her is growing faster and hitting milestones faster. It's already opened it's ears and is crawling around like it's older nest mate.

Bad news is my rabbit Sailor took a very serious turn for the worst an he had started pulling wads of hair out so I got him out of his cage and this normally 10-12 pound rabbit weighed almost nothing but he was so bloated it looked like he hadn't lost weight. He had like no muscle at all.. It was almost impossible to break his neck though but once we finally did he felt nothing... I am quite traumatized because it was way harder than it needed to be but I know he's better off now.

So sorry for Your rabbit Sailor.
It is hard to let them go... but if we remind ourselves that they were not having much quality of life and possibly in pain... it is a bit easier for "us" to accept.
Congratulations on a Good foster momma !

It was hard because when I tossed him into the river I knew he was dead but the way I tossed him it looked like he kicked out and I just lost it. I'm ok now though, I keep thinking about how light he was when I picked him up and how sad he looked. He wouldn't even eat the banana we offered him, and he usually loves them. The first attempt at breaking his neck I know did something because I felt a few tugs but not a full pop. It was like the muscles in his neck were stiff from the beginning which made it really hard to do by hand. Next time I'll use a broomstick or something. I used a ladies method on youtube I saw, It worked well it was just getting it to finally pop that was the issue.

Latest posts

Back